Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you mend my ******

You know, I've only had one person ask if I took in sewing "from the public", so I do believe that he was willing to pay for it.

I do hem up my own and my husband's pants, and sew my own clothing. I don't do any other alterations, though. But every time I hem up a pair of pants (I'm short-legged, so basically anything not labeled "short" or "petite" is going to be two inches too long, or longer)I feel like I've outsmarted whoever it is that thinks we're all at least 5'6".

I tell them I charge too much and they can get it done cheaper at the dry cleaners.

I CAN mend, but I don't. I used to put the kids' mending in "the mending pile" until they outgrew it. My husband learned long ago that if it was important enough for repair or alteration, just take it directly to the tailor or he'd probably never see it again.

I fix people's pockets. I'm waiting for the day when pockets no longer fail. Seriously, what year is it? And, pockets are still failing!?!

Nope, never had anyone ask me that. Guess we country folk are a tad diffrent. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by kacie
    I CAN mend, but I don't. I used to put the kids' mending in "the mending pile" until they outgrew it.
    Hey!!! That's my method, too :mrgreen:

Truly, I HATE mending, although I love to sew (clothes and quilts). Mending and sewing are 2 different things. My mother is old enough to remember darning socks if they got a hole in them :shock: She still has her darning "egg".

MaryMild, can you tell me what the quilt pattern in your avatar is? It's absolutely stunning. Thanks, Kathy

LOL! So true. I can barely sew a button on. And it will probably fall off two days after I sew it on. But if you need a quilt block, I'm your gal!

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    Quote Originally Posted by marymild
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    No one asks me to mend for them. At 6 foot tall and 240 lbs., I don't get many requests like that. They just say really, that's interesting.

Oh. Did I mention I'm a 50 year old male?
    That is too funny!
    What is your secret?

I get the exact opposite response when I tell people I piece quilt tops. I once was asked to do all the textiles in a bedroom remodel: curtains, tailored bedspread, shams, bedskirt, shaped pillows, hem drapes, and am constantly asked to do alterations.

I am 6'2", 200lb. (or so :-) ) 51 year old male. And I snarl a lot. :-)

Aardie.

Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    No one asks me to mend for them. At 6 foot tall and 240 lbs., I don't get many requests like that. They just say really, that's interesting.

:lol:
    That is to funny.So I would say mending is considered a womens work,sexist of folks isn't it

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)

:lol:
    Dang yer a big one!!!!
    5'2" here. I feel so small and insignificant....
    Can you reach that for me? LOLOL!!!

:XD:

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have not run into that, yet. But if asked I would say, "I don't like sewing clothes."

My sister actually started her own pants hemming business. She is going to culinary school at the CIA in California. She says that all of the male chefs are from foreign countries and short. (I don't know if one really has anything to do with the other. :-) )

I live on the East Coast and was THRILLED to not have anything to do with this business. Then, I get the fateful email asking for some tips. The next thing you know, I am whipping out Photoshop to draw her a detailed schematic since she can't sew a lick.

The happy ending is that she now has a nice little side business and I didn't have to hem any pants!

I have had that mentioned to me, about mending. I tell my DH and Girls and mother that I do not mend!!!! I quilt!

I hate mending and hemming. People ask me all the time if I could take in this or that for them and I really hate alterations. I would rather make you something from scratch than alter your clothes, mend or hem a skirt, pair of trousers, etc.

I read a saying once that I loved. "Asking a quilter to do mending is like asking Picasso to paint your garage".

Love that Suzan! I have to hem my daughter's school uniform skirt and I'm sweating just thinking about it! I'd rather do paper piecing and Y seams. Blindfolded! Okay you chickens, send me hemming vibes. I need you!

I am one of those people that can quilt but I can't sew or mend. You should see some of my attempts. I've tacked my husbands pockets backwards twice. I've sewn rips together that looked like he has a hair lip on his thigh and I had even sewn them thinking I had already turned the pants inside out. That wouldn't been as bad if I did not use varigated pink/purple thread. My looks at my quilts and can't understand me. I can't even sew a lining together for a plastic canvas gift box. Even sewing by hand did not make the lining fit any better.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    I CAN mend, but I don't. I used to put the kids' mending in "the mending pile" until they outgrew it.
    Hey!!! That's my method, too :mrgreen:

Truly, I HATE mending, although I love to sew (clothes and quilts). Mending and sewing are 2 different things. My mother is old enough to remember darning socks if they got a hole in them :shock: She still has her darning "egg".
    My mom did mend some socks when I was really little. I think she used a light bulb instead of a darning "egg."
    BTW, I love the puppy in the high chair in your avatar.

How about "sure. be glad too. I charge$5.00 an inch." or "I'm really sorry, but I am booked so far out, you will outgrow it before I could get it done,."

When my kids ask me, I say no, but I'll show you how to do it yourself. or Only if you cook dinner this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Love that Suzan! I have to hem my daughter's school uniform skirt and I'm sweating just thinking about it! I'd rather do paper piecing and Y seams. Blindfolded! Okay you chickens, send me hemming vibes. I need you!
    You could pretend you're hand-stitching a binding!

I have a B.S. in apparel design. I use to have my own business custom sewing.... people want a designer gown for Walmart clearance price....
    My favorite quote "I thought if I had it custom made it would be cheaper" ha ha.. ONLY if yo make it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    You could pretend you're hand-stitching a binding!
    That is exactly the way you hem a skirt. no difference... the basic blind hem stitch

Blog Entries
    I tried telling my husband that my machine couldn't handle denim jeans. He said, "You paid xxx for that machine and it only sews cotton?! I said, "Wrong. It only sews quilts!"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast