Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help! >
  • Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help!

• Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bluetickgal92
    Hey everyone! I need a little help I'm in the process of fixing up a sewing room and can't decide on a sewing table. Me and DH had first decided to build shelves and a table. As most know lumber is really expensive so I'm kind of rethinking that one. I've found some corner computer desks that look like what I want in the first place and I could let DH drop my sewing machine in. I was wondering if anyone else used anything like that for a sewing table and do they hold up good? What's honest opinion on building one vs. using a computer desk? Also I'm sort of on a small budget! Please any help would be appreciated!
    Consider an old "dressing" table? You can put it on bed risers to make the height better for you to use. Find an ugly one and make it yours with fabric or paint?
    Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 AM

I prefer to adapt existing furniture. You can add structural support to counter vibration. I like the furniture section of my local recycle company. It tends to be better quality than thrift store items.
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 AM

I use a large folding table, the kind you find in a church or library conference room. I can pull it out and move all around it when needed. We have a used office furniture store in my area. Check Goodwill or local thrift stores.
    Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 AM

I'm using a kitchen table that has expandable sides - found it on craigslist for $25
    Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Tables for sewing machines

I used those folding light weight tables...they work fine for me...have never had the vibration problem...one day I would love to have one of those fancy koala sewing systems... another dream...
    Attached Thumbnails 3sewing2015.jpg  
    Old 01-30-2015, 07:22 AM

We just set up a new sewing/office area for me yesterday. (YEAH!!!!!) It's an L-shaped setup that has a corner section, which I pondered whether to use for sewing, or computing. I think that the computer will go in the corner and the sewing machine will go on one of the "legs" of the set up. It looks like I'll have more room for sewing big quilts this way.

As for the setup itself...they're modular units that you can mix and match. I bought part of these units from Ballard Designs about fifteen years ago. They were originally for our business office. I just recently bought a couple of new sections to create the L shape. Luckily, they still carried the same design. My space is very small and oddly shaped and this solution fit perfectly. Granted, it wasn't a cheap solution, but the furniture is pretty solid and it fit my needs to a T. I figured, get it now, or it shall never be, so I went for it. Now, I'm in the process of organizing and putting all my stuff away in it.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/furnit...ollections_oho

~ Cindy

Last edited by tropit; 01-30-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    My sewing desk was originally a computer desk, it works for me but I don't think a corner desk would work, at least for me it wouldn't. I've been using it for over 10 years, and it held up fine. Have you thought of looking for desks at thrift stores or garage/yard sales?
    I was given an old computer desk that has the top shelves removed, leaving just the desk with a smooth level top. I then bought a hollow door at Fleet Farm and placed it onto the desk. It is wonderful. I have that huge cutting mat from JoAnns, have had it for many years. It fits the door perfectly, and, when I am not cutting, I have lots of room on the door for my sewing machine. It is the best set up I have ever had.
    Old 01-30-2015, 11:02 AM

Eleanor Burns has a link on her site how to make a table from a farm table that are really detailed directions.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepatte...asp?file=table
    Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    I have a computer desk that has a pullout keyboard drawer in the center. I decided to leave it as is and just put my machine on top . . .
    That's what I'm using. The pullout keyboard drawer comes in handy for scissors, seam rippers and such.
    Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 AM

I use an old farm table--sturdy and real wood--bought it from work when we downsized our display pieces for showrooms but please frequent thrift stores and if you have one near you--Habitat for Humanity resale store---if you cannot find a table or desk, they always have lots of wood, table legs, doors, cabinets, etc