Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Three Old Quilts >
  • Three Old Quilts

• Three Old Quilts

Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Marcia, I have my bags packed for at least 3 days, so I can sleep under each one! And thank you for inviting me. Course, I have to get these 2 batches of company out of my way first.... :mrgreen:

In the meanwhile, while I am waiting for the guest load to be past, could I ask you what size blocks each butterfly flies on? That one just tugs at my heart!!
    They must not be overly big since there are many butterflies on there. ...6 to 7 inches maybe. Wonder if she cut that pattern outof a KC Star Newspaper?
    There is something very special abt that one.

Just LOVELY! SIGH (Had to add that !! :) ) Riley
    Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM

So beautiful. I am sure the girls love sleeping under them.

Kyia
    Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Thank you everyone for all your sweet comments. I am so glad you enjoyed looking at the quilts!! It was my pleasure to share them with you.
    Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 PM

Riley-I am glad you like the butterflies. The blocks measure 7 3/4" square. They may have been 8" squares before they were quilted and washed. The butterfly is approximately 5 1/4" tall and 5" wide. There are 8 butterflies in each row and 9 rows. I am attaching a few close ups for you to see more detail.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-42444.jpe   attachment-42446.jpe  
    Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
    Power Poster

Marcia, your room is lovely and the quilts are fabulous! I wish my GM had quilted, but well, I guess I'm lucky that my GF's 2nd wife does quilt! She has given me 2 quilts and now she makes tons of them for Project Linus which is her passion.

Your GM was/is very talented and it must run in the family!!
    Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM

DROOL DROOL DROOL SLOBBER SLOBBER..... :mrgreen:

That black one is stunning! I wonder if Gran had a dress out of that or perhaps a blouse? (SIGH!! :wink: )

I enlarged the quilt itself so I could look at the fabrics (they fascinate me also, maybe because I probably had some dresses out of some of the same?) I did note that whatever color she buttonholed around the bodies, she also did one set of antennae in also, along with the body in that color.

I hope you do not mind---I did print a couple of the px, along with the whole quilt. I have a folder of quilts that dearly appeal to me that I admire & look at from time to time. I did also add your notations as to size, etc.--just because I love these butterflies!

Thank you Marcia, you are most kind to share with us, especially me!

Riley
    Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Oh thank you for letting me see those butterflies up close they are hand done, that is amazing work. I thought perhaps they were a whole cloth but no they are clearly blocks, WOWSER, and the flowers look even better close up.

My mom has the quilts that my grandmother felt I was special enough to sleep under. I now know them to be Dresden Plate, and a Double Wedding Ring. They are very loved, and like you say the biding fabric is loved nearly completely off. But you know I still remember the smell of them and the feel of them as she would spread them out over me. Okay now I'm crying.

You are a very special person and your granddaughters are very lucky. Where are you again? Perhaps I need to pack my bags for a visit too.
    Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 PM

Riley-I do not mind at all that you printed out the pics. In fact, I am flattered. I wish we were closer and you could see the quilt in person (perhaps even have a chance to sleep under it.)

Elizabeth-I am not too far from you--just the next state over. If you ever find your self on I-75 headed to Atlanta, let me know--I am an hour south and about 2 miles off the interstate. It would be fun to meet.

You are both so sweet--thanks for all the sweet things you have said about the quilt. I know my grandmother must be very pleased.
    Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Marcia!! You stood on the dresser? :shock: Well, hence forth I dub thee Marcia aka Quilting Cat Woman :D

Your room is absolutely lovely!! How special for your grandbabies!! Your gramma was quite the craftswoman!! Its awesome how well her quilts have withstood the test of time. Thanks so much for sharing them with us, such beauties!! I agree with Riley, the butterflies are absolutely beautiful, but they're all so pretty I could never pick a favorite!

Wouldn't it be fun to investigate all that yellow fabric! I bet there's quite the story about how all that came to be in her possession! Just fantastic!
    Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Beautiful quilts and room!