Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Corn Meal Mush >
  • Corn Meal Mush

• Corn Meal Mush

Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM

My son fixed it once and it had the consistency close to soft mashed potatoes. It wasn't sweet, but savory. It was delicious.
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM

oh wow I didn't even think about all the water in it your right. Thanks for mentioning that.
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM

That's the way I used to make it, too. I don't remember my mother making it but grandma did. I haven''t done it in a long time. Maybe this weekend. Will it freeze? I doubt that he grandsons will eat it.
    Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    My mother used to make mush when I lived at home. First we would have the thick soupy mush with milk a bit of sugar..rather like oatmeal. Then she would pour it in a loaf pan and it would set up. She would fry it until crispy on the outside and serve with butter and syrup.
    I was thinking about mush a few weeks ago. On Memorial day weekend hubby and I were in Lancaster PA. We found a new place to eat breakfast. They served it on their buffet. It was great. It reminded me of home.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM

You FROZE green tomatoes? Awesome, I will try it, nbody in my houe eats them except me and it is not always easy to find green ones to buy.
    Originally Posted by verna2197
    awesome I am going to try these recipes. I am still going to try and freeze some I think I will do the same as I do with my green tomatoes. Slice it before I freeze it, just make sure I don't thaw it out. Just take out of the freezer and put into the skillet. Do the same with green tomatoes and they are awesome.
    Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM

My sisters and I grew up on it. We loved it. Maple syrup, butter, blueberry syrup. We put everything on it.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM

grandma made corn mush i hated it but was real little never have had it since. that was in NC.
    What I can't find here is scrapple. So far never had a problem finding it except here in Kansas. I was introduced to it in Va. thought it would be hard to find in Ca but it was there.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM

As a child we would eat it like a hot cereal in a bowl.My father had it a a child so he thought we should too. I hated it....until I went to Italy and found polenta that has some cheese added to it and sometimes is poured out on a board and topped with cooked vegtables.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM

My mom made it with pork neck bones. She would boil the bones and us kids would pick off the meat then she would boil the cornmeal in the pork stock. Oh, it was soooo good. We would fry it in butter and put syrup on it. I have been wanting some for a long time but not can't find neck bones in the stores anymore. What memories!!!
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM

I fix mine like you do. I live in the south and can't find it in the stores here. I buy it in Ohio when visiting and bring it home.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM

It is made the same way you make livermush only you use only corn meal and broth or water and seasoning (ie salt black pepper your choice). Add corn meal to boiling liquid, stirring until it thickens to the point it is hard to stir. Pour into a dish or loaf pan chill slice and fry.