Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
It's Tamale Time!  Please share your favorite tamale recipes. >

It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 AM

Default It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

Christmas eve means tamales at my house. We usually make up several different kinds and everyone goes home with a bag of them for the freezer. We always do a pork and red chile recipe, a chicken version is always served, there's usually some sort of vegan type s/a chile and corn, or bean, and sometimes we have sweet tamales. Sauces include mole negro, chile verde, and something more offbeat s/a nogada, or pumpkin. Please share any tamale recipe that you have.

~ C
Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 AM

Sorry I don't have any recipes to help. Tamales are really my favorite Mexican food, unless they are green corn. Mmmm
I really enjoy living in Tucson because you get some of the BEST Mex around. And I enjoy that.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 AM

Never even tasted them, that I recall. We did stop in a Tucson grocery store and I heard a woman order 50# of tamale meat. I’m thinking that’s a lot of tamales !
Old 12-09-2017, 01:20 AM

I like to make tamales with pork in a red chili sauce I make from California and New Mexico chile powders with some Chocolate Ibarra added in.

For chicken tamales, I use a green chile sauce made by simmering tomatillos, onions, fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and garlic. After I cook it, I blend it and add fresh cilantro.

My vegetarian version is simply jalapenos from a can and jack cheese.

My grandmother used to make sweet tamales with a custard. I sure wish I had that recipe!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Christmas eve means tamales at my house. We usually make up several different kinds and everyone goes home with a bag of them for the freezer. We always do a pork and red chile recipe, a chicken version is always served, there's usually some sort of vegan type s/a chile and corn, or bean, and sometimes we have sweet tamales. Sauces include mole negro, chile verde, and something more offbeat s/a nogada, or pumpkin. Please share any tamale recipe that you have.

~ C
No recipe but would you consider adopting me? Just kidding! Living in the land of little cultural diversity, the only option for me are the canned tamales.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 AM

Having lived in the south west growing up, you would think I should know how to make them. Nope, my favorite recipe for tamales are the ones I get at Cebolla's, local Mexican restaurant.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 AM

I have never made tamales. I love them and would love a recipe. I love to cook and try making new things. This is why my clothes are all getting tight.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:01 AM
mac

America's Test Kitchen had a show on making tamales. You can find it on the internet. Sorry, but that is the best I can do.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
I like to make tamales with pork in a red chili sauce I make from California and New Mexico chile powders with some Chocolate Ibarra added in.

For chicken tamales, I use a green chile sauce made by simmering tomatillos, onions, fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and garlic. After I cook it, I blend it and add fresh cilantro.

My vegetarian version is simply jalapenos from a can and jack cheese.

My grandmother used to make sweet tamales with a custard. I sure wish I had that recipe!
Please elaborate on the sweet tamales with a custard. That sounds delicious! More details please. Maybe we can come up with our own recipe.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
No recipe but would you consider adopting me? Just kidding! Living in the land of little cultural diversity, the only option for me are the canned tamales.
Yes! I'll adopt you! You poor thing. I can't even imagine having to eat canned tamales. I've never even seen them in the stores before.

~ C