Frozen Singer 404

Old 08-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Frozen Singer 404

I purchased a Singer 404 straight stitch at a thrift store; it was frozen at the time, but I have read that this can be resolved; apparently the donor had not used it for years. I purchased some Tri Flow and put it in the various oil holes. The wheel will now turn a little but the needle remains stationary. I called my local dealer where I purchased my Pfaff QE 4.0 and my Babylock Ellegante and they want around $189 for an "overhaul". I am not mechanically-blessed, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a person in the Salem, OR area who might tinker with these beautiful vintage machines; it seems the dealers in modern machines want the same price for oiling, etc., vintage machines as they do for the fixing the complexities of the computerized machines - no exceptions. The outside of this machine has not a scratch on it, and everything is there - the cord and original foot feed, except the bobbin itself. Would appreciate your advice on what to do. I looked at Craig's List for a repair service and all I got were the listings for the major dealers around here. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Shirley, yesterday I read a thread on a 401 that was locked up. Fabulous info on getting it going. I don't imagine that the 404 is all the different. Make some tea and take a looksee at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216956.html
Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 AM

It's a solidly built machine and worth a bit of effort. Have you had the needle and bobbin plate off, and investigated around the feed dogs and under the bobbin case? Check (double and tripple) for threads, bits of a broken needle, etc. I think you need to unscrew a few screws to get the top off the machine. Keep on oiling, when something is stuck, it often takes a bit of patience and persistance to get it loose again. Tentative applications of oil a few times a day, wiggeling the hand wheel a bit, often get's it going. I can only give you the basic routine unfortnately, maybe you all onto it, but as said, often it's a case of keeping it up for a few days until it frees up.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-12-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Shirley, yesterday I read a thread on a 401 that was locked up. Fabulous info on getting it going. I don't imagine that the 404 is all the different. Make some tea and take a looksee at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216956.html
Agree with the suggestions. I am the one who started that thread. It was my early venture into vintage machines. All the help I got was great and I did get it functional. It took time and patience and some products. I am not mechanically inclined at all but I was patient. Good luck. I'm hoping you can do it yourself!!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:58 PM

Thank you all so much! I'll try the multiple oilings and cleaning out underneath the bobbin first to see if that works; and from that point forward, if it's still stuck, will take the steps outlined in Stitchnripper's thread. Wow, what detailed info! You guys are the best! I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

It is going to come unstuck the last place you oil... $189???
Old 08-13-2016, 04:41 AM

I have worked on many vintage machines and got them going, but am not close to you. Do not use Tri Flo, it is basically 3 in one oil, and that is the problem with a lot of these old machined. It turns to shellac over the years. Always use a good sewing machine oil (Singer). Keep oiling and keep trying to move, some times it takes a few days. But get rid of the Tri Flo. Back in the day they used the 3 in one, as it was handy, and they grabbed it from their husbands instead of getting sewing machine oil!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 AM

I would be very careful taking my vintage machine in for repair. I had a great FW and took it to a Singer dealer who said they specialized in FW repair. He took my bobbin apart and said there was something wrong with it and said his distributor could only sell me a new one for $89. I took it to a guy who used to be on this board and he repaired it for $15. The Singer guy returned my bobbin in pieces, didn't even put it together, what a joke !
Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by SB13 View Post
I have worked on many vintage machines and got them going, but am not close to you. Do not use Tri Flo, it is basically 3 in one oil, and that is the problem with a lot of these old machined. It turns to shellac over the years. Always use a good sewing machine oil (Singer). Keep oiling and keep trying to move, some times it takes a few days. But get rid of the Tri Flo. Back in the day they used the 3 in one, as it was handy, and they grabbed it from their husbands instead of getting sewing machine oil!
I cannot agree with you about Tri-Flow being 3-in-one oil, but do agree that the use of 3-in-1 creates the problems you quoted. I ordered my tri-flow from Sew-Classic, and wouldn't do without it.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:03 AM

Keep applying oil every once on a while, do something else come back and do it again. I have purchased 6 machines that were frozen and after being patient for a few days, each of them work.