A new addition

Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Default A new addition

I was shocked to see a FW priced at $50 for sale a couple of miles from me this morning. It has a few issues which may cost a bit to fix but I don't think I overpaid.
It was just the machine (no case or accessories) and it has a bobbin case but I believe it will need to be replaced as the little lever is floppy on it. The decals are decent but there is evidence of aluminum rot in a few places. The handwheel is a bit hard to turn and the motor is very slow to move the needle. The power cord may have been stored somewhere else as it's in great shape though!
I'm going to take my time but think I can get it sewing again. I didn't think I'd ever own a FW and now I have 2.

KarenH
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

​That is a decent price since you may need to spend some money on it to get it sewing well. Have fun!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Congrats on your new machine. That's what I paid for mine, got lucky like you did. The seller told me it didn't have a bobbin case, but he didn't know anything about sewing machines and I was pleased, he was mildly surprised when I flipped up the extension and there it was.

Cari
Old 08-15-2018, 03:40 AM

Very interesting I saw one not too far from me for the same price this AM. Only one photo; does not show or mention the carry case. I already have one but if it's still around later today I might inquire about the case, etc. and try to flip it.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Good for you! I got my first one after years of looking and I did come upon it for I think $180. I was so happy. Then a few years later in a thrift shop there was one for $40- which practically jumped into my arms! Sometimes it happens!!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 AM

My first FW was found in a local thrift shop in May. It's a little rough around the edges with some missing decals but sews great. I paid $100 for and it only needed a new power cord. It came with a case, manual and most of the original accessories. It was made in 1938 so holds great sentimental value to me as that is the year my Daddy was born. (Newest one is from 1954.)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 AM

If I saw a FW for $50. I would drop what I was doing and run to it. Congrats.KarenH
Old 08-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Oh believe me leonf I did drop everything! I couldn't believe it was still there as it had been posted on Monday.

I've spent all morning on the little machine.
The belt was really tight so I loosened it a bit. I cleaned and oiled everything, removed old grease, added new and hit the motor with the blow dryer for a bit on low. I plugged the machine in and tested it after every section was done and it was still very slow.
So I spent a good bit of time on the bobbin case, removing old thread and rust and got the old thread caught behind the bobbin assembly. Plugged it in again and just kept at it and it started moving a bit faster and within a minute or two it was moving freely! It runs extremely quiet w/o the bobbin in the case.
I didn't have anything to lose as I was prepared for the bobbin case to need replacing with that latch not working properly but it sews just fine! So I guess I have myself a great little $50 Featherweight that might not need much money added to it at all. Its been a fine day in my sewing world today, I hope the same for the rest of the group.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Wonderful... those FW's can get a lot of thread around the bobbin area and it is tedious to get it all. Sounds like your morning was well spent.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 PM
mac

Regarding the bobbin case just slipping around...

If you take off the plate that goes around the feed dogs (I think it is called the sewing plate), be sure that when you replace the plate back on, that the bobbin assembly is in the right place. If it isn't, when you put the bobbin case in, it will just slip around and won't catch in the right place. However, if you are already sewing with it on fabric, then you must have gotten it in the right position. Ask me how I know. It can be very frustrating if you don't know that little tidbit of information.