201-2? Featherweight?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

The second looks too big to be a 99 - probably a 66. Those turn real nice usually - great if you like speed.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 AM

Miriam,

I have a 201-2 in a 4 drawer cabinet sitting in my front room right now just like you described, and we only paid $75.00 for it. All original in totally functional condition. All I've done is clean, oil and lube it. I wouldn't have paid $250.00 for it, no way, no how.

Joe
Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Joe if that 201 has been professionally worked over with a new set of wiring, it is well worth that $250 - where are you going to buy a like new machine or a new machine for that? That machine will last a very long time. If you spend that same $250 on a new plastic wonder it won't last 5 years.
Miriam - I tend to agree. Value is always subjective but if I were looking for a machine for my daily user I'd absolutely look at something like this and say 'How much would it cost me to get the same quality and features in a new machine?' If it has the features I want, the wiring is good and it's been fully serviced it would certainly worth $250 to me. Not that I'd mind getting it for less, mind you

All that being said, I'm probably willing to pay more than a lot of the people here for the same item. Generally spare time - for hunting things down, haunting garage sales/antique stores/etc... - is harder for me to come up with than spare money at the moment and I've never been particularly patient.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Prices are dependent on area, supply, & condition. If you live in an area where they don't come up very often, prices will be higher. Most are not in good condition; this lowers the price. If one has accessories and is recently serviced, it will be higher. And it all boils down to whatever someone is willing to pay.
I love finding non-working machines, re-habbing them, & finding the missing parts. When I sell them, I can't let them go for $20; I have WAY more than that invested in parts, not to mention the time. I buy the machines to use, not to make a million $. But I let one go to a new home every so often.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
Prices are dependent on area, supply, & condition. If you live in an area where they don't come up very often, prices will be higher. Most are not in good condition; this lowers the price. If one has accessories and is recently serviced, it will be higher. And it all boils down to whatever someone is willing to pay.
I love finding non-working machines, re-habbing them, & finding the missing parts. When I sell them, I can't let them go for $20; I have WAY more than that invested in parts, not to mention the time. I buy the machines to use, not to make a million $. But I let one go to a new home every so often.
That's where I'm at. If I have lots of time in it I can't let it go for $20 - but you can be sure it WILL work and YOU won't have to put a bunch of time and money in it.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 PM

I have a 201 in a cabinet that I paid $10 for. It is in a Queen Anne Cabinet and doesn't look like it was used very much, No chair with the cabinet tho. can't find my pictures now. I think I posted them under vintage machines I love it. It doesn't make very much noise at all when I sew.