206k ... Now I've done it!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Here is a link to more info on QB:http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html if it is like the one here with out the typewriter keys, there is a lot of good, practical information. It should be a very nice machine fixed up. You would be surprised how much you would like it and how simple it really is. It will do everything a new machine you can buy at WM except it will last 50 years or more longer. You are welcome to PM the major contributors on there if you have any questions. I also have one like yours with the godzilla finish. It was filthy. It cleaned up and then I tested it - it sews just fine. The cords need to be replaced. Check to see if there are any cracks or bare wires. Is the smell coming from the motor or the machine? Check the machine inside and out for lint, dried up oil and anything else might be there. The motor just needs to be used unless the wires are broken up. It would be VERY easy to put a new motor and new wires on it - there are just a couple screws. You can get what you need from sew-classic.com - I showed cleaning out grease pots on the above thread - be careful if you take apart the needle holder.
Wow, amazing! I have a Kenmore in that condition that I didn't even touch. It makes a great door stop!

I don't know where the smell is coming from. I only had it plugged in for 30 seconds or so! I saw the gears were nasty, so I didn't push it. I didn't mess with her last night either. She still sitting in the kitchen by the door I dragged her in through. I'll clean her up on Sunday and oil her and we'll go from there!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Here is a link to more info on QB:http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html if it is like the one here with out the typewriter keys, there is a lot of good, practical information. It should be a very nice machine fixed up. You would be surprised how much you would like it and how simple it really is. It will do everything a new machine you can buy at WM except it will last 50 years or more longer. You are welcome to PM the major contributors on there if you have any questions. I also have one like yours with the godzilla finish. It was filthy. It cleaned up and then I tested it - it sews just fine. The cords need to be replaced. Check to see if there are any cracks or bare wires. Is the smell coming from the motor or the machine? Check the machine inside and out for lint, dried up oil and anything else might be there. The motor just needs to be used unless the wires are broken up. It would be VERY easy to put a new motor and new wires on it - there are just a couple screws. You can get what you need from sew-classic.com - I showed cleaning out grease pots on the above thread - be careful if you take apart the needle holder.
Mouse nests ...........

Joe
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Mouse nests happen - I don't know why but they like to hide in sewing machines - I can't understand how they get there but they manage.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Due to all kinds of abuse, stolen items retured, etc. Goodwill no longer refunds cash, just gives store credit. Abuse hurts us all in one way or another.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 AM

I wonder if they got a better offer on the computer table, or someone just ripped off the sold sign. Regardless they should have given you a refund, but Hopefully the sewing machine will turn out to be a bargain.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 AM

I found a better desk at another store yesterday and since my dad (and his truck!) was with me, I was able to bring it home! It's funny how things work out. I told my husband that this desk is "better than the one that got away", even if it was a little bit more expensive. I still got good deals on the desk and the 206. I'll clean her this weekend and show you what she looks like and you'll see why I had to bring her home!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 AM

can't wait to see the photos.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Default Pictures!

Well, I finally got her cleaned up. She was very clean inside, so I just dusted her and oiled her. The paint is in really good condition, and her decals aren't too bad, either. There was a waxy kind of coating on her that I had to really apply elbow grease to. I took pictures in front of the door, so there's a lot of glare. Down near the plate, there is a little chipped paint, which is what that extreme close up is. Should I try to fix it or just leave it? The cabinet is in pretty good condition. It needs drawer pulls and a good polishing, but I didn't mess with that. I just dusted it.

I hope you enjoy the pictures! I don't know why the "Before" picture is upside down!
Attached Thumbnails before.jpeg   after.jpeg   chips.jpeg   s-decal.jpeg   throat-decal.jpeg  

Last edited by AshleyR; 05-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Oh wow! I did not realize the 206 was a "classic black" machine.
I LOVE it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Oh wow! I did not realize the 206 was a "classic black" machine.
I LOVE it.
Ain't she a beaut?! See why I had to go ahead and "settle" for her?! I'm putting her ad up on Craigslist. I don't know if anyone will buy her, there's a lot of "rare and antique" machines on there!