Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 301 discussion thread

Can anyone tell me about an online source where they got their walking foot for their 301 and if they are satisfied with it and what they use it for in quilting and a picture of it?

I have about 4 vintage machines for sale...Its hard to sell them because they are all great but I dont have time to use them all...I have a tan 301A, 201, 66 AND ELNA SUPERMATIC WITH CAMS..does anyone know if I can post these for sale on our sire somewhere..I put them on craigs list today but I know here people know better what they are getting..
    thanks I tried to down load pictures but with the new site I cant figure out how to get my pictures smaller..
    Thanks for suggestions...I also have a feather weight ...I cant let them all go!
    Long Arm Quilter and Fabriholic.
    Life cant get any better than that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
    Can anyone tell me about an online source where they got their walking foot for their 301 and if they are satisfied with it and what they use it for in quilting and a picture of it?
    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...A-SCF301WF.htm I just got one for my sister

Blog Entries
    I have a 301(Lynn) and she is a great workhorse. Right now she is in my closet waiting to meet her new neighbor a singer treadle machine (Dorothy) made in 1913 in Elizabeth N.J. She was a total mess and as soon as we finish her she will sit next to Lynn in my new sewing room when we finally move back to Pa. I also have a Singer 6233 and 9230 I use these two on a daily basis ( if I screw up a machine I'd rather it be one of these) I also have a ton of attachments that came with each machine and I too couldn't tell you what most of them are for just yet. I love them all. All I need now is the Featherweight and I'd be one happy lady.

Blog Entries
    I bought a 301 this summer in Lancaster, Pa. Haven't used it too much yet, am needing a new foot or rewiring, altho I've used my FW foot to check it out. Already bought a walking foot, but have no other foot then the standard one so far. Glad to see this thread, good info on the tensions.

Coveting a 301!!

Oh, silly me! I have been reading about 301s, and wishing I could find one to buy. For some reason, I decided to look at some of the machines I am not currently using. Went into the studio bathroom closet, where I store odds and ends.Down on the floor are two machines cases. Hmmmm, wonder what machines these are? Imagine my surprise when I opened the slope
    sided case to find a tan 301!! Can't even recall where I got it! Hasn't seen the light of day
    since we moved here 3 yrs. ago. Will now get her out, spiffed up and take her for a test drive. Will try to post a pic when she is set up!
    Last edited by pgthom; 11-19-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    So much fabric, why do I have to sleep?

54488/311/50B41549D718DF58AC188C5D5A33E030

I also love the 301's. I currently have 2, a black long bed and a 2-tone short bed (I recently sold a tan short bed). I have 20+ vintage machines and really enjoy using them all. I'm also always looking for another one!
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    This would be a good thread to have. As much as I looove the VSMS, It's getting difficult to find specific information, I believe that the 301 has enough uniqueness and large enough of a following to have it's own fan club.

Plans for my day include moving my 301, in it's hefty cabinet, from the utility trailer back into the house. With the exception on the featherweights, the vintage ladies are still packed from their latest quilt show tour.

I got my walking foot for my 301 at SewClassic.com...Make sure you get the one for the 301 only...other they sell has to be adjusted which they tell you on the site. Also got my cheap FM foot which works great...from them...Very satified. I use the WF for SID quilting and putting on binding.

Blog Entries
    i have the less expensive FM foot but was wondering about the one that is three times as much it actually looks like it would sew nicer because it has the spring has anyone tried both???

This is a great thread to have!! Thanks for starting it!
    I bought my two tone this summer at an estate sale for $40; no case, cabinet. I have purchased a walking foot, FM foot, and zig zagger. I cleaned her up and oiled her good, made one item, (her dress), her name is Caroline.
    She joined her baby sister, Lizzie 1952 FW.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

I recently won a 301A for a great price on ebay it should be here this week can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by pgthom View Post
    Oh, silly me! I have been reading about 301s, and wishing I could find one to buy. For some reason, I decided to look at some of the machines I am not currently using.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the slope
    sided case to find a tan 301!!
    THAT is so funny!!!!! The same thing sort of happened to me with a 15-91. Really wanted one after reading so much about them on this forum. I saw one locally, on Craigslist, and I bought it. A few weeks later I was rearranging my hoard....ooops, I meant collection......of sewing machines and viola there is a 15-91
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries

Controller Change Out

Great to hear about http://www.shop.sew-classic.com I just ordered an Electronic controller for My (new) 301..I love the way the machine is so very sensitive to small touch adjustment as I move the fabric. Found the original Controller to be difficult to control speed (operator issue) as you need to compensate with a side foot tilt movement vs and up and down for speed.. the Seller was very helpful in guiding me and indicated that she also, has changed out most of her 301 controllers to Electronic ones, recommended this site with high ratings. I will of course keep the 'Original' cords.. anyone else change out their Controllers or cords?.. BTW. mine were in very good condition, just changing out for my desire of more speed control and newer power cords..the information is good on the above site as to what you need for what machine..
    Happy Stitching Week..going to be a short one..w/ getting ready for Thanksgiving.. have a good one to all members of the Forum...
    Elizabeth

Life is a Learning Curve!

Quote Originally Posted by Linkbeth View Post
    Great to hear about http://www.shop.sew-classic.com I just ordered an Electronic controller for My (new) 301..I love the way the machine is so very sensitive to small touch adjustment as I move the fabric. Found the original Controller to be difficult to control speed (operator issue) as you need to compensate with a side foot tilt movement vs and up and down for speed.. the Seller was very helpful in guiding me and indicated that she also, has changed out most of her 301 controllers to Electronic ones, recommended this site with high ratings. I will of course keep the 'Original' cords.. anyone else change out their Controllers or cords?.. BTW. mine were in very good condition, just changing out for my desire of more speed control and newer power cords..the information is good on the above site as to what you need for what machine..
    Happy Stitching Week..going to be a short one..w/ getting ready for Thanksgiving.. have a good one to all members of the Forum...
    My husband and I buy all our machine parts from Jenny at sew-classic.com...she's the best! We have a collection of vintage machines which we do all the cleaning, oiling, repairs, etc, ourselves. We change out the foot controllers and cords, if necessary. There are adjustments that can be made on the original foot controllers which will help control the speed. If you join the vintage singers yahoo group, you will find information on taking care of these vintage machines.
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DesiG View Post
    I purchased a 301 earlier this year (1951 tan short bed in an art deco cabinet) and had similar issues with the tension- Icould not set the tensioner low enough to make a balanced stitch, much less lighten up the tension if needed for specificsewing. What I eventually did was to tighten the bobbin tension with that tiny screw on the bobbin case until I had a
    balanced stitch when the upper disc was around the middle number. This took about an hour of fiddling around with it,
    tighten the screw- sew a trial seam, adjust, adjust etc. and now I have it so that if I am sewing 2 layers of cotton, the
    upper tension is set at about 4.5 or so. I also cleaned the heck out of it, oiled everything and then played with all the
    attachments that came with it. Spent just one summer afternoon sitting on my camper deck to get it purring along.
    I also have a FW (love it for piecing) and a Bernina 430, but I really like FMQ on my 301.
    Thanks for the tips on the tension. I think I'll have to try that after all my hustling around is done....so that's the end of January. I'll come back and post how it went. For now it's sewing OK. I never thought about adjusting down the bobbin case tension. It's the original bobbin case (it's a blackside), so maybe it's spring has weakened some.

Blog Entries
    I had to get new power cord and foot controller for mine, as she came without. I am very happy with the control I have with the new controller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
    My husband and I buy all our machine parts from Jenny at sew-classic.com...she's the best! We have a collection of vintage machines which we do all the cleaning, oiling, repairs, etc, ourselves. We change out the foot controllers and cords, if necessary. There are adjustments that can be made on the original foot controllers which will help control the speed. If you join the vintage singers yahoo group, you will find information on taking care of these vintage machines.
    Thanks Lynn, will scope out the Yahoo site..Like additional information.
    Wanted to let others know that besides to items to purchase on Jenny's site, she has a lot of 'how to information' for free here is the link for the controllers, but look around at her site and blogs. I enjoyed it a lot.
    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2010/01/...g-machine.aspx
    Happy Stitching..N Fixing..
    Elizabeth

I bought a 1956 301 in May, and I purposely bought it because of the strong steel gears. It makes heavy weight sewing of things like bags and denim like cutting through soft butter! I got all of the attachments and the manual with the machine. It was oiled, threaded, and ready to use, having been used up until a few months before I bought it. I would love a 301 thread to learn mor about this fabulous machine!

Jane
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/janeysacks

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSue View Post
    I just recieved my 301 beauty. I'd love to have a thread to talk about her and learn more about her. She sews like a charm, and so quietly. I'll post pics as soon as I get them.
    She is a fun machine. And she belongs in my family-- she has trouble controlling her weight!! She left Texas weighing 18 lbs. and came to my porch in Illinois weighing 25 lbs.! Must have stopped off for an oil buffet along the way! hehehe
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

301's

[QUOTE=Linkbeth;4693323]I see the 301's as a totally different machine due to the gear drive motor, larger scale design and drop feed dog feature. They are a slant foot style and I believe their motor is stronger due to the gear driven quality. Their motors are not as removable and easily replaced as that of the FW
    They share the flip up bed and decals and portability of the FW, as well as the placement of the bobbin.. (the more 'senior' members will be able to expand on this. If I am not correct, please re-direct in a gentle way)
    ..In all due respect know that I love the Featherweight and own them as well.
    Having said all this, Would Antique Machine Enthusiasts might like a thread to discuss the 301's?
    Does anyone else feel they should have their own discussion thread?

I think it would be great to have a thread for 301's...I have a Viking,aBernina,featherweight & 2 301's....I use
    the 301's for all my piecing & quilting...really love this machine

When I found my 301 at a tag sale for 30.00 I took her to a Vintage Singer repair person in the area. He switched out foot and wires. When I found my 301A in mint condition in a cabinet I discovered it had the pull down knee control and I love using that versus the foot pedal...

Blog Entries
    I like the knee control too - it seems like the messages get to my knee quicker than to my toes.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I like the knee control too - it seems like the messages get to my knee quicker than to my toes.
    Hehehe.... Just remember to remove said knee from controller when moving around else another vaccination will happen..... I have to remind myself of this........

Sure wish my 301 had a knee controller...
    “Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    You have some lovely machines in your collection.
    I am anxiously awaiting the post-Thanksgiving time so I can pull out my 301 and attach the new controller as well as the new cord.. got is so quickly from "Jenny @ Sew-Classic LLC". I also got some kroil, which is hard to find here..
    I hope we can get an album going of individuals 301's. Before and after pictures of restored or issues worked on would also be nice.
    Need to look up the thread on picture posting as well as setting up albums.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction/thread it would be much appreciated.
    Regards and have a good Thanksgiving.. take care if you are driving.. just came back from the supermarket and in my area w/ the 'snowbirds' and regulars, it is really nutty..staying in the rest of day to get ready for tomorrow as I am the 'cooker'..Liz

I think it would be great to have a thread for 301's...I have a Viking,aBernina,featherweight & 2 301's....I use
    the 301's for all my piecing & quilting...really love this machine[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Linkbeth; 11-23-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    Elizabeth

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast