Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: 301 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    You have to have one that has been altered to fit a 301 see Sew-classic for more info - you can get them already altered or you can get one and she will send instructions if you buy from her

True, they are altered but still are all too wide for 301 feed dogs. They will operate but not work as they should because of the too wide feed dog issue.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Depends on how badly you want it and if it's in good condition. How vague is that? LOL.

This is the first custom painted 301 I have seen a good picture of. It's hot pink, which is an unusual color to have chosen for this machine. I don't think I would have chosen the color, but I kind of like it. Not for $350 though. That's not even a buy it now price. It's an ebay listing, so check out the picture while you can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-HOT-PINK...item27c4ec9124

I would like to paint mine dark red one day. Like vintage red vikings. Model number is 6440 I think.

Surprise, surprise, it didn't sell either...LOL It does look pretty funky in hot pink...they even painted the pedal!

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
    Surprise, surprise, it didn't sell either...LOL It does look pretty funky in hot pink...they even painted the pedal!
    I didn't want to be mean Suzag in my previous post about the hot pink, but wow is it bright and honestly kind of odd looking. I think the shape and look of the 301 is more suited to dark and more muted colors. I often wonder about the original color choices for the 301, I mean why would they have chosen beige as one of the colors. In seeing the few pictures I have of custom painted 301's I guess there is a reason. This machine does not look "right" in a variety of colors like some other machines.

Blog Entries
    Hi ! Just noticed this thread on 301s. I have 2 - 301A mocha shortbeds and I love them. Also have a FW which I love. Both models are great for piecing. I have not yet FMQ on either of mine yet but plan to.

Blog Entries
    When was the last time you took the needleplate off your 301?? Mine hasn't been more than a two months, but I did today when I was cleaning the machine getting ready to FMQ. Wow, I had a little catapillar hiding where a brush couldn't reach from top or bottom. I was surprised as I no longer use a certain brand of thread because of the lint. Just a reminder to check once in a while.

New needle, lightly oiled, delinted. I guess we're ready.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    When was the last time you took the needleplate off your 301?? Mine hasn't been more than a two months, but I did today when I was cleaning the machine getting ready to FMQ. Wow, I had a little catapillar hiding where a brush couldn't reach from top or bottom. I was surprised as I no longer use a certain brand of thread because of the lint. Just a reminder to check once in a while.

New needle, lightly oiled, delinted. I guess we're ready.
    I was noticing lint today too. Good reminder. Some repairs are very preventible!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by DesiG View Post
    I purchased a 301 earlier this year (1951 tan short bed in an art deco cabinet) and had similar issues with the tension- Icould not set the tensioner low enough to make a balanced stitch, much less lighten up the tension if needed for specificsewing. What I eventually did was to tighten the bobbin tension with that tiny screw on the bobbin case until I had a
    balanced stitch when the upper disc was around the middle number. This took about an hour of fiddling around with it,
    tighten the screw- sew a trial seam, adjust, adjust etc. and now I have it so that if I am sewing 2 layers of cotton, the
    upper tension is set at about 4.5 or so. I also cleaned the heck out of it, oiled everything and then played with all the
    attachments that came with it. Spent just one summer afternoon sitting on my camper deck to get it purring along.
    I also have a FW (love it for piecing) and a Bernina 430, but I really like FMQ on my 301.
    Do you use a regular darning foot for free motion quilting? I have a BIG FOOT for a low shank machine, is there one available for the 301A?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
    Do you use a regular darning foot for free motion quilting? I have a BIG FOOT for a low shank machine, is there one available for the 301A?
    sew-classic has slant feet for a 301
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    301 A tan long bed, love it although she is sitting up on the shelf watching me use the New Home and My old Janome right now. I switch around a lot but stick with one machine for a quilt. Learned that lesson, not to switch horses in the middle of the stream so to speak.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
    http://www.april1930s.com/html/slant...y___darni.html Here is the one I like. April ships free, too.

I started cleaning my new 301 and several versions of the manuals give conflicting advice about lubing the motor. I think my motor will need to be lubed (not oiled - I have learned this!). Here is a picture of the motor with what looks like a lube tube. But the only hole is in the side of the tube , not the top of it. Is this where I squeeze in the lube for 5 seconds as per Dave McCallum?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alyce

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9