301 discussion thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Don't have a 301 found one today on craigslist for 200.00 a machine repair person has it and it is supposed to be in good condition I can drive to see it. Just need to know if this is a good price thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cookie LM View Post
Don't have a 301 found one today on craigslist for 200.00 a machine repair person has it and it is supposed to be in good condition I can drive to see it. Just need to know if this is a good price thanks
There's a long bed in Phoenix in a case for $175 on CL but it's a longer drive for you
Old 12-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cookie LM View Post
Only if it's a black, long bed in pristine condition or in an awesome table. I wouldn't pay that much unless it looked brand new, but that's me. Depends on how much you want it and if it's a short bed, long bed, color etc.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM

I have 2 301's and love them. They are great for quilting, with the slant shank you see better for sewing,also the throat plate is marked and I love that.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm a 301 fan as well. I own a black longbed. I'm also getting a short "end flap" for it so I can fit it into my sewing cabinet. I did own a tan short bed and sold it a little while ago, as I just couldn't justify two. However, I couldn't fit the cabinet into my car to deliver it and the new owner didn't care about the cabinet. I kept it and decided to look around for the short end, and have one coming up from the States. I'm pretty excited as I love sewing on my 301 and the cabinet with the lid that extends out holds quilts well while I free motion.

I was told that free motion on the rotary bobbin machines is easier than on the drop in bobbins because of the thread path. I don't know about that, but it is easier for me to free motion on my 301 , my Singer 115 treadle and my FW's. than on my Singer 401. I just really enjoy sewing on these vintage machines.....much more fun than on my computerized ones, much as I hate to admit it......
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaK View Post
I'm a 301 fan as well. I own a black longbed. I'm also getting a short "end flap" for it so I can fit it into my sewing cabinet. I did own a tan short bed and sold it a little while ago, as I just couldn't justify two. However, I couldn't fit the cabinet into my car to deliver it and the new owner didn't care about the cabinet. I kept it and decided to look around for the short end, and have one coming up from the States. I'm pretty excited as I love sewing on my 301 and the cabinet with the lid that extends out holds quilts well while I free motion.

I was told that free motion on the rotary bobbin machines is easier than on the drop in bobbins because of the thread path. I don't know about that, but it is easier for me to free motion on my 301 , my Singer 115 treadle and my FW's. than on my Singer 401. I just really enjoy sewing on these vintage machines.....much more fun than on my computerized ones, much as I hate to admit it......
Lynda, I agree with you. I spent quite a bit FMQ on my 401 and it just doesn't compare to the 301! Now, the 401 is great too with all the decorative stitches and such, but yes the drop in bobbins can cause some tension issues and the 301 just does it so smoothly and nicely.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 AM

I am a new member--just read this thread from top to bottom. I love my '55 FW and am interested in a 301. My questions for which I didn't find answers in the thread: what is the difference in the long arm and short? How much difference in size? Any difference in unit design? Advantage of the long arm over the other when quilting and FMQ? Thanks for helping out a newbie here. ~G
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
I am a new member--just read this thread from top to bottom. I love my '55 FW and am interested in a 301. My questions for which I didn't find answers in the thread: what is the difference in the long arm and short? How much difference in size? Any difference in unit design? Advantage of the long arm over the other when quilting and FMQ? Thanks for helping out a newbie here. ~G
There are more short beds available as these were the only machines made to go into tables and the two-tone is availbable ONLY in short bed. So, the longbeds are rarer, and thus more collectable and usually more expensive. They aren't any different than the short beds in function or design. I have FMQ on both and pieced on both and I couldn't really tell the difference. Though the long bed may provide some additional support for some folks.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Thank you, Candace, and I see I used the wrong terminology, long bed rather than long arm! Thank you for your response. I guess that the long bed must have more space for "stuffing" your quilt as you are machine quilting? Would someone be able to tell me the horizontal space difference between the needle shaft and the machine body of the long and short beds? Is the vertical space the same? I love my FW, but I suspect that the same heavy duty body along with the feed dog that will lower would make the 301 just a little better for quilting/FMQ. Comments or help? ~G
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Thank you, Candace, and I see I used the wrong terminology, long bed rather than long arm! Thank you for your response. I guess that the long bed must have more space for "stuffing" your quilt as you are machine quilting? Would someone be able to tell me the horizontal space difference between the needle shaft and the machine body of the long and short beds? Is the vertical space the same? I love my FW, but I suspect that the same heavy duty body along with the feed dog that will lower would make the 301 just a little better for quilting/FMQ. Comments or help? ~G
The harp space on both the short bed and long bed are exactly the same, so the long bed isn't any better at getting a quilt under it than the short bed. They are the exact same machines, except the flap to the left is a bit larger. The flap actually is removable. Sometimes I see 301 parts on ebay and you can buy the flap and make a short bed a long bed...though the colors will likely not match exactly. I have two mochas, one short, one long and one is slightly darker than the other. It was obviously a different paint lot years later or just environmental sun fading etc. The long bed will give you a smidge more working room for piecing etc. to the left of the needle, but if you want to put the machine in a table, you need to go with a short bed as the cradles and Singer tables are only made for short beds. If I had the choice of a long bed and a short bed in the same condition, for the same price, I'd jump on the long bed. But, that's usually not the case. Long beds tend to be more expensive and IMO the short beds do the job just as well. Hope this helps.