The 319 has made it home

Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM

Default The 319 has made it home

The seller did a very nice job of packing - so no broken parts!

Well, except that every single glue joint on the wood base failed, but sometimes that happens with all the vibration, cold, dried out and age. At least that is a very easy fix, and not something that is the fault of the seller. We've had to glue many a wood base back together when the old glue failed.

She's a very dirty girl, and has issues (she won't turn over) but we knew that before we bought her. DH says she'll clean up just fine, and I'm confident he can get her to work again (hopefully without a lot more $$ to spend).

We won't do anything more with this machine until it's fully warmed up.

Came with not so nice shape case, and full set of attachments and cams, extra needles and bobbins.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM

Congratulations! Another one of your wanted machines scratched off of your list! By looking at some of the other machines that your DH has cleaned up, I bet he’ll have it shined up nicely for you in no time. Are you going to use it as a portable or some other application?

All of this talk about 319s gives me a chance to show you my green 319W in a cabinet in the guest bathroom that I haven’t ever really looked over very closely. “Old Ugly”, my beige Singer 306W24, has kept me occupied so well that I haven’t had the urge to play with the 319 yet. (The first time my wife saw my rough-finish 306, she said “That thing’s ugly!) I’ll have to admit that the 319W is the prettier of the two, but I am interested in treadling, so the 306 fit my needs just fine. With good green matching cords and control, I’ll leave the 319 electric. My wife likes her Singer 401A(s) so well that I doubt she will ever bug me much to get the 319W up and running for her. That would be like trading down-hill for her anyway, so for now, it’s a convenient table to hold toiletries when the kids come to visit once in a while.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine327_05.jpg   machine327_06.jpg   machine483_18.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 01-25-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added a photo.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 AM

some folks keep reading materials in the bathroom, others keep sewing machines! talk about multi-tasking!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
some folks keep reading materials in the bathroom, others keep sewing machines! talk about multi-tasking!
Now, that's pretty funny!

There is a Youtube video of a green 319 that had been made into a treadle. It's a good video......she shows how all of the different stitches are made.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Congrats Cathy! It does look like it'll clean up nicely. Those machines are on my ever growing want list. I really want to play with the typewriter key controls on one.

CD, that's the same cabinet and stool my 66 came with. Why the stool though? Don't you already have a seat in the bathroom?

Every time I see what my cabinet should look like I get the urge to strip the paint off it. Fortunately I'm able to suppress that urge and find other things to do. I really hate stripping paint off furniture. I also use the sewing cabinet to support my ironing board while I'm sewing and do a lot of pinning while I'm sitting there. I'm pretty hard on the finish so I'm probably happier just leaving it alone.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Cathy,

I have in the recent past the displeasure of having 2 machines in bentwood cases destroyed by the careless handling of FedEx. It's sad that we pay for their service and get such incompetent drivers to handle our precious cargo. Fragile, this side up, or handle with care means nothing to some drivers. On my last purchase, I contacted the seller and requested that he ship the bentwood case separate from the machine which he did and the USPS additional charge was only $12 more and well worth the price.

Rodney- in the frozen gulf south
Attached Thumbnails img_6172.jpg   img_6182.jpg   img_6179.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 AM

Soman - I had the same thing happen (thread spool through the bentwood case). Though if the seller had even tried to pack that one well, it probably would have been fine. It wasn't near as bad as yours so DH glued and pushed it back in place and it's very hard to notice now.

With my case - it is just failure of old glue - nothing is cracked or broken, so it will be very easy to put back together.

I have learned a lot since I started buying machines a year ago - now I don't hesitate to talk to the seller about shipping before putting in a bid, and it's working out much better.

My hand crank with coffin top was shipped in two boxes - the seller stated in the listing that was they way he shipped.

Most of what I buy are bare treadle heads, so often there is nothing extra to get damaged (like lights, cases, motors) and no extras to bump around and scratch up the machine during transit.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 AM

Cathy,

I am fortunate to have another hobby that can go hand in hand with collecting sewing machines and that is woodworking. I have a well equipped shop capable of repairing/replicating most damaged wood items, but I prefer to spend time on the machines and not on the woodwork. Attached are a few pics from a few woodworking projects in the past. I am not sure, but I think cabin fever is setting in LOL

Rodney
Attached Thumbnails im000012.jpg   dsc04314.jpg   dsc04318.jpg   im000089.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM

oh- I also love wordworking! maybe when I'm old enough to retire I'll have enough time for all the different hobbies I have.

Though we have to be careful not to digress too far, this board is rather strict about staying on topic. So I keep my other hobbies to other boards and the vintage machines here. Besides, most of the people on the other boards just don't understand why someone would want 50 sewing machines LOL!!