Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
70 minute silent video of the Singer factory at Clydebank, Glasgow >

70 minute silent video of the Singer factory at Clydebank, Glasgow

70 minute silent video of the Singer factory at Clydebank, Glasgow

Old 08-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
Amazing.
I've not finished watching the film yet and have already made an inquiry to purchase a DVD copy.
I watched that film a few years ago and loved it. I tried to get a copy, and thought I had the deed done, but it never happened.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Banned

You have to send a request to the institute that owns the rights, then they will send you a price quote based on your use (if you plan to show it in movie houses it is more than if you are doing it for personal research... Then you can pay for and order the film. The DVD is great. I watch this from time to time just to "get in the head space" as it were..
Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 AM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful bit of history.......so many will never see this......so many thoughts flew thru my head as I watched...how many employees and pay per hour, hours per day, how large was that complex, noise level some of those depts., would today's employees work that deligently, what is on that vast property now, would like to see a "today" piecework/assembly line mfgr of a sewing machine......and so many more ???????
Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the link. I have just requesting a quote and they said I should receive a reply within 10 days.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 AM

Amazing! I think this should have been posted in the MAIN thread. Every sewer should see this. Thanks!

Last edited by Evie; 08-04-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 PM

Can't wait to watch it! Thank you for posting it.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Maviskw & Caspharm - I just ordered a DVD copy for personal use a couple days ago. Did you fill out all of their forms before ordering the DVD?

It is a bit of a process, but so worth the effort.

First, I had to register with the National Library of Scotland and apply for a library card! How cool! Now I have a Scottish library card, at least the digital version with a 16-digit number!

The registration form asked for m name, mailing address, billing address (if different from the snail mail address) email address, and educational level. It had a list of library topics I may be interested in; I was to pick three. I did not consider this too nosey; all that information is available everywhere.

They emailed a confirmation, along with my library card number, and a temporay pass word. Then I had to click on the confirmation email, which took me to the site to change the pass word to one of my choice.

Then I ordered the DVD and used my PayPal account to purchase it. They converted the pounds to dollars at that time; how convenient! It was just over $24.

I received a "will hear back in 10 days" note, too." I hit the contact button and sent an email to ask for conformation of the order. A very nice woman answered the next day; she said they had received the payment and the DVD was mailed out this morning. I shoud expect it in 12-14 days.

You may have not completed the registration. If you try again I bet it will work. Just complete all the registration, apply for the library card, check the email confirmation, change your password, and then order the DVD.

...and then pack your bags; meet me in Minneapolis, and let's go try out our new cards at the Edinburgh library!

Here's the link to their home page...

http://www.nls.uk/

Last edited by Caroline94535; 08-05-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, punctuation!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:54 AM

My copy of Birth of A Sewing Machine has arrived!

It actually arrived several days ago, but I just found the time to watch it for the first time. I will be watching it many, many times until I glean every nuance of information from the 74 minutes of 1934 time travel.

It arrived from Glasgow, Scotland, in perfect condition. It was in a heavier cardboard sleeve and addressed by hand. It was posted with an automatic postage meter so I missed out on seeing interesting Scottish postage stamps.

It arrived far quicker than mail sent from my home in Arkansas normally reaches me here in North Dakota.

It's a silent movie with intertitles to describe different processes; it's in glorious black and white; it was filmed in 1934 - and it is perfect.

I highly recommend my fellow vintage machine - and video - lovers to treat yourselves to this film.