9 patch on it's way

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM

This is WAY more fun as a non-secret.

BTW, I packaged mine up and labelled it, ready to be mailed. Any self-respecting QB member will kindly SEW the envelope closed, rather than glue it. Eh? I sewed my envelope with my 1920s Frister and Rossman handcrank.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
This is WAY more fun as a non-secret.

BTW, I packaged mine up and labelled it, ready to be mailed. Any self-respecting QB member will kindly SEW the envelope closed, rather than glue it. Eh? I sewed my envelope with my 1920s Frister and Rossman handcrank.
Good idea especially when I can't remember where I left the tape.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Please do Miriam.

Looking at it now keeping this a secret was a really dumb idea. Too many people were being left out of something that should be an effort by the whole community. I can't speak for everyone but it's impossible for me to get everyone right all the time and I was worried about missing people from right after I started. That should have been a clue there that I was doing it wrong. I'm still kicking myself for that and for getting Joe's user name wrong.

My apologies to Joe for that mistake and to all of those I left out by trying to keep things a surprise the first time.
Rodney
Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Well, now I know where I stand. I thought I was Miriam's friend too, but I wasn't invited to make or send a square.

Guess I'm not in the right clique.

Joe
The address is in post number two. No one has to wait until they are Invited..In a cyber community no one knows anyone and everyone knows everyone.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Please do Miriam.

Looking at it now keeping this a secret was a really dumb idea. Too many people were being left out of something that should be an effort by the whole community. I can't speak for everyone but it's impossible for me to get everyone right all the time and I was worried about missing people from right after I started. That should have been a clue there that I was doing it wrong. I'm still kicking myself for that and for getting Joe's user name wrong.

My apologies to Joe for that mistake and to all of those I left out by trying to keep things a surprise the first time.
Rodney
It wasn't a dumb idea Rodney, it was a well intentioned surprise. The only problem arose because this community is so large. I still think it would have been a really great surprise if everyone who knows Miriam could have been in on it, but that's the problem. This is such a large community that missing someone or several someones is bound to happen. So the best thing did happen, the secret got out and now everyone knows and no one will be left out. Win/win. The only issue I can foresee now is an over abundance of blocks. And how cool will that be.

Cari
Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM

I, too, have sent a block but will let it surprise you, Miriam. Or maybe I will upload later. ??? I prayed for Ashlea and you and your son as I sewed. There is a lot of love in our collective stitches and it should provide great comfort and joy. Rodney, I'm sure you're forgiven for your good intentions that resulted in a couple woopsie daisies . Thanks for choosing a simple easy block that anyone can do with scraps on hand. That was very efficient admin-wise and thoughtful of newbies or folks who otherwise be stuck figuring out what block to make. I'll be leaving for a trip this weekend and have a zillion things to prep, but absolutely wanted to be part of this quilting ring of love. Had you left the block pattern To us to choose , I would still be thinking. Instead my block is done and en route to your mailbox.

Last edited by zozee; 09-24-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM

I’ve ran into problems using my Singer #86294 Darning Foot to do my embroidery on my center block. I’ve come up with a couple of ideas as to why it’s not working well on my machine.

First of all, I don’t think that the foot was designed for use on the Singer 27. I believe that it was designed to be used in conjunction with a needle plate cover like was common with the models 15, 66, 99, and others. But, I haven’t found any reference to a feed dog cover plate for the models 27, 28, 127, or 128. The cover plate “hump” above the feed dog effectively reduces the distance between the needle and the needle plate, allowing the darning foot to make contact sooner and release contact later than without the cover plate.

Secondly, the fabric needs to be stiffened, and since they didn’t have the cool stabilizers that are available today, I would assume that starch was used to stiffen fabrics back in the day. I would like to use the techniques that were used during the time period of the darning foot to learn how to use it, so I’m going to put that portion of my project on hold for now.

I have a couple of cover plates somewhere, both for a 15 and for a 66 that I have heads that I can treadle, so I will dig them out later to give the darning foot a go on a different machine, and on heavily starched muslin. But for these 9-patch blocks and this project, I’ll write on my center block.

It’s ok though.....I’m still having fun!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

CD she will love what ever you do.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:01 PM

Rodney, will you post nice pictures of the quilt when it is done, so that we can all enjoy the multitude of blocks that are being made with love for Mariam's DIL? And thank you for coming up with this, and doing the work to pull it all together and finish it. It is so thoughtful.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I got mine sewed. Sheesh. The machine is a Singer 27 or 28 or what ever it is... anyway someone converted to electric. I had the thread in the tension disks wrong so I had to rip it all out. I still have to scrawl something in the center then I can pack it up. BUT I think I might use some other machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]492964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ashleas-quilt-square-002.jpg