9 patch on it's way

Old 09-24-2014, 05:13 PM

I would love to take credit but actually it was Roserips who suggested the quilt with the 9 patches and signatures. I'm just doing the legwork.

CD whatever you send will be fine. For your experiment you might be able to use a piece of cardboard over the feed dogs until you get the right plate. The height sounds like it's necessary or I would suggest a buttonholer cover plate.

Yes, plenty of pictures will be taken and posted.

Miriam, the block looks good!
Rodney
Old 09-24-2014, 06:52 PM

I received a couple blocks earlier today signed Maxine. No other name or address to be found. Anyway Thank you very much Maxine! They made it safe and sound.
Rodney
Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 PM

welp Rodney. I can now move my head and shoulders, sew I so'd up something today I'll be on it's way up there tomorrow, should hit you by friday ..

To answer the lathe question . It say south bend. but by SN 3 they say try Logan I never did that. I know very well because of who I bought from that it's a 1930's and looks just the same as a friends 30's south bend 12 x 48 made in the 30's. this one is a 10 x 48
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM

My block is on it's way! I mostly lurk now days because everyone was so helpful and all 8 of the machines I have repaired are being used to piece and quilt. I hope that Ashlea has a speedy recovery .
My dear 301 stitched this block.
Karen
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
welp Rodney. I can now move my head and shoulders, sew I so'd up something today I'll be on it's way up there tomorrow, should hit you by friday ..

To answer the lathe question . It say south bend. but by SN 3 they say try Logan I never did that. I know very well because of who I bought from that it's a 1930's and looks just the same as a friends 30's south bend 12 x 48 made in the 30's. this one is a 10 x 48
I don't have a metal lathe (yet) You might want to visit OWWM. We have a metal section there along with the old woodworking machinery. I'm sure you would fit right in. They're the first forum I joined. I have a shop full of older woodworking equipment and far prefer it to the new stuff for all the same reasons I like old sewing machines.

Windblown Thank You!
I love your avatar. I like the old decal patterns and the peacock pattern on the Free machines is up there in my favorites along with the Scarab pattern on the Franklin machines.
Rodney
Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 AM

Miriam and Rodney, could you clarify the spelling of Ashlea(h)? I have seen it both ways on this post, and it might be good to clarify for certain, in case anyone write To Ash... on their block. It would be unfortunate to have a mis-spelled name!

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 09-25-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 AM

I've been spelling it Ashleah. I'll let Miriam verify for sure though.
Rodney
Old 09-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

ASHLEA with out the H on the end.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 AM

We all should have included what machine was used to sew our blocks- that would be fun to see how it all fell out. I used my favorite machine, my Featherweight. Will you let us all know as they come in, Rodney? Mine mailed out yesterday.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 AM

I'm new to this site. I never paid attention to vintage machines, although I own a treadle from way back. It's not at my house for reasons I will not mention here. About a year ago, I bought a Featherweight. I love it. But this last Tuesday, I was given a Singer with bentwood case. I finally had time to open it up today, to look at what was in there. It is a Singer with knee control, with terrible wires, but otherwise looks old, but OK. The number plate says "G0762263". I couldn't find a bobbin, so I called my sewing machine fixer man, and he said he had the long bobbins. Then I figured out how to open the bottom, and found seven bobbins and the BOBBIN CASE. There was a book in there that said "Revised in 1923". I finally got the bobbin threaded.

I would love to make a 9-patch for Ashlea with this machine if I can get it to work. I'm kind of afraid of the wiring, but will try it anyway. The directions in the book say: "To Make the Electrical Connection Unwind the electric cord, screw the plug at the end into an electric light socket and turn on the switch." Apparently the plug has been changed, as it has a plug that will fit into my outlets.

I'll work at this and let you know (if I'm not electrocuted first, LOL).