Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Another "new to me" old Singer! >

Another "new to me" old Singer!

Another "new to me" old Singer!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:09 AM

I had read about the special size needles...that was one strike against the cute machine.

KLO - I do sew, but I'm all good with an "in working order" 1952 Pfaff 130, a new Bernina 230PE, and the 1975 Singer Fashion Mate 252. The 1954 Singer 15-91 needs new cords, but I can't justify another "for sewing" machine!

LOL @ Helen Ann - we're not even dating; we're just nodding acquaintances.

My small combo Sewing Room/Ladies' Parlour already holds three vintage sewing machines (two in cabinets), one modern sewing machine (it sits on top of the Singer 42 cabinet), and a serger. There's no more room and I am battling the urge to "collect."

I've recently seen and touced and lusted over my first "in real life" Singer 66 Red Eye treadle, an 1892 Singer Sphinx 27, and a Singer 99. A couple years ago I "visited" a fancy parlor cabinet with a Minnesota machine, but I didn't know what I was looking at, at the time.

I do hope to get back to Crookston (it's a long haul there) to take better and more photos and try firing up this machine.

I guess "my" collection will be a album of detailed photos and information on the "ones that got away!"
Old 09-17-2015, 07:58 AM

Caroline, I haven't found the different needles to be a bother. Buy a good number in available sizes. Even if they are discontinued they'll be available for a long time, and with several machines you won't use needles up very quickly. I purchase what I consider a lifetime-plus supply for each machine that uses nonstandard needles, so when it moves on to someone else they will have at least a small number to get started. You could do the modification, but the available needles are the ones I use most of the time, and can always use another machine if a different size/type needle is necessary.

CD, my 306 has a metal plate that a standard repro handcrank is attached to that cants it at the needed angle. It was made by a fellow in Utah, who sold it with the machine on eBay.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
....my 306 has a metal plate that a standard repro handcrank is attached to that cants it at the needed angle....
Dianne in Colorado
Ok thanks. A 306 with a hand crank is not common. I don’t even know if they ever made a “306D”. I’ve never seen or heard of one. (I hoped that you had a rare “unknown” model possibly!)

They made a 206D that I believe will accept the standard hand crank, but I don’t know if the German factory continued on to produce the 306. Don’t quote me on the 206D hand crank, but some of the German-made machines were a little different than the same model made in other markets, so I’ll go on thinking that until someone corrects me. There was also a 306M assembled in Italy, but I don’t know much about that model at all.

CD in Oklahoma

ETA: So, theoretically, your 306 hand crank and plate could fit on a Singer 319 as well?

Last edited by ThayerRags; 09-17-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM

CD, interesting thought, a 319 with a crank. I've never had a 319 to play with, but if the crank would work that's another reason to look for one. I'm not sure why cranking is so desirable, beyond absolute control of speed, stitch placement and stopping instantly.....surely that's enough....plus when there's a thick spot, you know exactly the stress placed on the machine. The machine becomes an extension of yourself, more than with a treadle and much more than with an electric. Sounds corny, but that's how it feels to me.

You know so much about all the models, a wonderful thing. I've learned one at a time since retiring, but the Standard rotary treadle that came in the door two weeks ago fits the last treadle space available.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 AM

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf

I have downloaded this free, 111 page PDF manual for a 319K, which seems to be the same machine.

What a delightful and informative manual. It goes into great detail on all the cams and their stitches, using combinations of cams for even more stitches, and all the feet, accessories, and three different stitch plates.

It also has many sewing instructions including detailed types of "garment darts", "rip proof seams for lingerie", "renewed elastic waistbands", and "girdle repairs!"

I could be sewing my own customized underpinnings with all this info! Come on, I can't be the only one here that needs a new steel buckle or a whalebone repaired on the trusty old corset???

Seriously, it sounds like a delightful machine. I wish he had all the cams, plates, and feet for it. When I go back to take more photos and test drive the 391W I'll point the shop owner to Ismacs and suggest he widen his advertising area.

No, I can't get it. I simply don't have the physical or mental time and space to bring this machine home. If it had all the accessories and feet, and was in perfect, brand-new condition (and I don't know that it isn't) I might consider it for my niece, but I really want to get her a 201; if there is a 201 model with a zigzag.

Last edited by Caroline94535; 09-18-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Banned

No Caroline the 201 doesn't zigzag, it's only a straight stitch machine. If you want a basic good Singer zigzag machine for your niece I'd suggest looking for a 237.

Cari
Old 09-18-2015, 04:08 PM
KLO

Caroline, Just my opinion but I think you should get the new cords for the 15-91 as it is a wonderful machine. The feed dogs can even be lowered so you can quilt on it. I have never heard a bad word said about these machines .... although maybe someone will come back to this post and register one. As you can guess, I too have one and I think it was from the early 50's also in a art deco cabinet but I would have to go check. Too many machines for my little brain to remember the dates so I keep them in a file ..... somewhere! Really, one more working machine can't be bad especially since you already own it, right?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

I agree the 201 is or a 15 are great machines. But they do not do zz unless you have an attachment. 99% of sewing is with a straight stitch machine. They make just as good (well seriously BETTER stitches) than the expensive modern wonders... If you think about cost per stitch those old black machines win every time.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Shes a beauty...