Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever hear of a Phoenix Sewing Machine?

Blog Entries
    I got my Phoenix to sew. You have to put the bobbin thread through a little loop - I missed that the first 65 times I tried - I finally said Uncle and looked it up on line and got that fixed. I'm wondering what needle it takes. Mine has a needle image on the slide plate - much smaller than the needle in the machine. It says 1738 so I wonder what that means. If it is smaller, why does the needle in the machine work? I haven't tested the decorative stitches yet - I still need to get power to the machine. It's table is at the shop and the machine is at home... I think I might fall in love with this one.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Miriam,

Here are some of the pictures you sent to me of the Phoenix.

I hope that they show up.

Cathy

Name:  phoenix_sewing_machine_006.JPG
Views: 1135
Size:  104.7 KBName:  phoenix_sewing_machine_009.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  100.8 KBName:  Singer_FW_&_Phoenix_283_004.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  101.2 KBName:  Singer_FW_&_Phoenix_283_005.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  99.0 KBName:  Singer_FW_&_Phoenix_283_006.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  90.8 KBName:  Singer_FW_&_Phoenix_283_008.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  100.2 KB
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Wow Cathy - you did the impossible!!!
    Top picture - a little lever releases the bobbin hatch
    The bobbin in it's case lifts out and in - the bobbin threads like a normal bobbin then there is a hole in one of the little fork like things for thread to go through
    In the back of the machine is a cam stack - the lever on the top releases it
    it came out very easily - I think there should be a way to take them on and off - mine is on very tight right now
    Then I reinstalled the cam stack. The cam stack controls are on the front of the machine next to the stitch length regulator. The machine takes industrial type round shank needles but regular needles will go in - very hard to get out though. If you get the industrial type needles you have to make the needle hole line up just so. Not hard to do once you have done it.

Must not have been impossible, as I did do it. But it did take some work.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Wow Cathy - you did the impossible!!!
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I should try to put up a picture of the bobbin threaded correctly some time.
    I'm liking this machine. This is not some hohum piece of junk.

Blog Entries
    I should try to put up a picture of the bobbin threaded correctly some time.
    I'm liking this machine. This is not some hohum piece of junk.
    This also does a nice quality stitch.

Miriam,

Here are few more of your pictures of the Phoenix.

Cathy

Name:  39.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  46.6 KBName:  phoenix_sewing_machine_022.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  109.1 KBName:  phoenix_sewing_machine_028.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  110.8 KBName:  phoenix_sewing_machine_030.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  118.6 KBName:  phoenix_sewing_machine_032.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  101.9 KB
    Cathy

I was given one of these machines....what an old workhorse! I've learned (kind of) how to use it by trial and error....and by finding a manual online for a 282 which is slightly different. There is a manual available online for the 283F (my one)..but I don't want to pay for it. Do one of you actually have a manual that goes with this beauty?

(....I can't believe I've found someone else with the same machine!!)

Blog Entries
    For me this one was love at first sight - no manual yet. Just that little brochure. I think I found that same manual you found. This machine isn't too hard to figure out is it? I still have to get mine plugged in - the table is at the shop and the machine is here. I'm thinking the machine is STAYING here. The table is going to have to come home. The table is very well made too. I got a nice assortment of accessories with my machine but only one bobbin. I found two more in the shop that fit nice. I still need to clean the lint out of that nooks and crannies.

can you post a full-on picture of it yet? I too am fascinated.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    can you post a full-on picture of it yet? I too am fascinated.
    page 1 window #5 has a nice pic

You're right Miriam....not too difficult to figure out, you've just got to sit and play around. I must say though, the pictures here helped me hugely yesterday when I was fiddling around! I have managed to track down a guy in Germany who has a manual - in German!! - and I've asked if he's able to email a copy to me....I figured that even the pictures might help a bit.

Blog Entries
    http://rudolfcouture.com/wardrobe/in...d=49&Itemid=39
    at the bottom is a link to a manual. (it is in red) It is for a different phoenix machine (282) but it was some help here.

Quote Originally Posted by DCThompson View Post
    I was given one of these machines....what an old workhorse! I've learned (kind of) how to use it by trial and error....and by finding a manual online for a 282 which is slightly different. There is a manual available online for the 283F (my one)..but I don't want to pay for it. Do one of you actually have a manual that goes with this beauty?

(....I can't believe I've found someone else with the same machine!!)
    Hi all
    I've just found one of these machines - the 283F which has a curved wooden thingamy (seriously can't think of the name of it right now!!) - but DCThompson, hopefully you will know what I'm talking about. I'm just wondering what you think of the machine in terms of how it sews, does it work well? I can't decide whether to buy it or not. I'm in love with the idea of it, but I'd also like a machine that sews well. I'd love to know your thoughts!
    Cheers,
    Amelia

That 283F Phoenix appears to be a workhorse. I googled to find images of it. The curved wood "thingamy" looks like it is removable so the machine could be used as a free arm. I think the sewing machine would be worth taking a chance on if the price is right.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    If you can get a good deal on it.... the Phoenix I have is a wonderful machine - very well made! Easy to use once you figure it out. Sews a very nice stitch.

If you can get a good deal on it.... the Phoenix I have is a wonderful machine - very well made! Easy to use once you figure it out. Sews a very nice stitch.
    Thanks Miriam - that's good to know! .... the good deal is the next tricky part. It's $150 AUD (about $160 USD), which may well be a good deal once I've used the machine and fallen in love with it; but sight unseen it's enough to make me nervous. Particularly where electrics are involved. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    That 283F Phoenix appears to be a workhorse. I googled to find images of it. The curved wood "thingamy" looks like it is removable so the machine could be used as a free arm. I think the sewing machine would be worth taking a chance on if the price is right.
    Yes, the free arm aspect is what interests me the most as none of my other machines have one! I was just posing the question about the price... interested to know what you think too, Caroline - but I also don't know how the market in Australia compares to that in the US. I picked up my Bernina 640-2 for $50 in a thrift shop (which was a bargain, even by that measure) but paid to get the electrics checked and the machine serviced - so all up it cost about $200. Now that I know how good it is, I'd pay the same over again! It's really tricky when making the initial outlay when you've no idea what the machine is going to be like. I know the seller tried to get $200 and nobody bought it, now they've dropped to $150. I still think it's a bit expensive if the seller hasn't used the machine and can't provide much info about how it sews or runs.

Blog Entries
    I would not pay that much unless I knew the machine had been thoroughly cleaned and any mechanical problems repaired plus I would want the wires in good shape. My Phoenix is an older model, but I think it is well made and would go a very long time. The bobbin area is very unique. After I learned it I love it.Name:  phoenix sewing machine 007.JPG
Views: 828
Size:  129.0 KB

Blog Entries
    On mine the bobbin case comes out but goes in with a hinged door - there is a loop for thread to go through
    Name:  phoenix sewing machine 001.JPG
Views: 2087
Size:  129.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know how to take the camstack apart and put in different cams? The manual I have doesn't cover the camstack. I know how to get it out of the machine, just unscrew that big screw in the back then hold the lever at the top of the machine and pull it out. After that I am drawing a blank.

Does anybody know how to take the camstack apart and put in different cams? The manual I have doesn't cover the camstack. I know how to get it out of the machine, just unscrew that big screw in the back then hold the lever at the top of the machine and pull it out. After that I am drawing a blank.
    Hey Miriam... what model is yours exactly? It looks almost identical to my 283F but yours is a flatbed. I have a service manual and regular manual. I'll have a look at the camstack question.

My machine is with my dad at the moment getting rewired but I should be getting it back tomorrow. Itching so violently to try it out!! Have you found yours to be an enduring favourite? >> Amelia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    Hey Miriam... what model is yours exactly? It looks almost identical to my 283F but yours is a flatbed. I have a service manual and regular manual. I'll have a look at the camstack question.

My machine is with my dad at the moment getting rewired but I should be getting it back tomorrow. Itching so violently to try it out!! Have you found yours to be an enduring favourite? >> Amelia
    I had a little gal come along looking for a foot control for a very dead nicer machine. I took pity on her and she got the Phoenix. I hated to part with it but I think it was a very good match for her. I figured out how to get the camstack apart. It was pretty intuitive.

she got the Phoenix. I hated to part with it but I think it was a very good match for her.
    I hate for you to part with it as well because I want to bombard you with questions!!!

.... but no, that's very generous of you, it does sounds like it went to a good home.

My questions relate to the two levers on the front.

Question 'A': Why (????!!!??) can't I get the stitch length/reverse spring lever and face plate back on/assembled after taking it apart to clean? I actually did get it back on once, but had to take it off again for some reason... Now no matter how many times I try, I can't get it back on again. It's driving me batty!

Question 'B': What is the lever numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 next to the stitch length lever actually for? Even though I have the adjustment manual, it makes no reference to this anywhere. The manual that came with the machine is for a 282 and the 282 looks almost identical apart from this mystery lever.

Are you able to help with either of these questions? I'd be SO grateful!!
    Thanks, Amelia

Blog Entries
    Question A - I don't know - you took it apart....

Question 'B': What is the lever numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 next to the stitch length lever actually for? That is the selector for your designs. The disks should be in the back of the machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast