Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Anyone Ever hear of a Phoenix Sewing Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Question A - I don't know - you took it apart....
    Ahhh yes. I was venting my frustration and actually forgot to ask whether you remembered how it's meant to go together. It's a long shot if you don't have the machine, but I suppose there's always a chance someone else who has one might also happen along...

Thanks heaps for letting me know about the design selector. It's so weird that it's not mentioned anywhere! I'll have to play with that (nervously)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    Ahhh yes. I was venting my frustration and actually forgot to ask whether you remembered how it's meant to go together. It's a long shot if you don't have the machine, but I suppose there's always a chance someone else who has one might also happen along...

Thanks heaps for letting me know about the design selector. It's so weird that it's not mentioned anywhere! I'll have to play with that (nervously)
    It's ok - I have a 15 clone bobbin area all taken apart and when I get it together it doesn't turn...
    The design thing on that Phoenix is very simple. It took a lot of nerve to dig into it but it really was very simple. I'm thinking the rings are somewhat fragile though. I might have a picture of it around.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Phoenix cams stack is in the back
    is this like yours?

Name:  phoenix sewing machine 014.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  130.9 KB

Blog Entries
    That ring is a nut and comes off - mine was on almighty tight. DH had to get it off. I was so afraid those disks would break. Then you can change out the disks. I'm thinking there was a trick to getting the thing off the machine, too.

I was recently given a Phoenix 283 by my grandmother. She hadn't used it in years and it was full of lint, so I took it apart a bit to clean it and somehow in the process I screwed up the tension knob. Does anyone have any idea how it's supposed to look/be put together? I keep trying different things but the top tension stays way too tight, even if I have the knob unscrewed so far that it's about to come off.

Welcome to the board!

1st rule of QB - We love to help!
    2nd rule of QB - We love pictures!

For example, I have a Phoenix Model F which is most likely not anything like your Phoenix. (mine is a treadle from the 1890's)

Someone here may have one already and then you'll be good to go, but if not, a picture will go a long way towards us being able to help you!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaWilder View Post
    I was recently given a Phoenix 283 by my grandmother. She hadn't used it in years and it was full of lint, so I took it apart a bit to clean it and somehow in the process I screwed up the tension knob. Does anyone have any idea how it's supposed to look/be put together? I keep trying different things but the top tension stays way too tight, even if I have the knob unscrewed so far that it's about to come off.
    Dear Zelda,

Please do post a photo!

If you do a search here in the conversations for Anker Phoenix 429, you will find a thread started by me when I joined a few months ago, with my Anker Phoenix machine. It is a bit different than yours, but I did a fairly extensive cleaning - it was my first Real Tinker! I have detailed photos of my tension assembly. I am not saying it will be the same as yours - but there is good info in that post, because as I recall, Miriam (who is a WIZARD, by the way) was very helpful and she chimed in with great info.

Welcome here, and I hope to hear a lot about your machine as you make friends with it!

-Cecilia
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaWilder View Post
    Hi Zelda
    I have a Phoenix 283F (freearm) - can't remember what pics I posted here but will try and get some of the tension assembly on here for you

That is a cool looking machine, I hope you have fun with it.

Unfortunately I had to leave the sewing machine to go back to school and I didn't take any pictures, but I think I figured it out before I left. I messed with the lower tension and that seemed to mostly fix the problem. Thanks for the support!

I just bought a Pheonix and need a manual. I will be picking this machine up in a few days, so not sure of the exact model number but it is the green free arm model, I believe the 282F or 283F. Can you tell me where you got your service manual and regular manual. I was told that the original manual is with the machine, however it is in German. Can't seem to post a picture of the machine today, but it can be viewed at this link. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5142719&type=3

The picture link doesn't work from my computer.

I think there's a link in this thread some where (or another thread on the 283F.) This is a link to the first part of a manual for the 282/282F (second part here). The manual is close enough to work for both machines. The 283 have a cam stack in the back that takes four replaceable cams, and they can be selected by a press-in lever left of the stitch length lever. I don't think the 282 has this feature, but other wise they seem identical to me (I have the 283F). To change position of the stitch selector on the 283 there is a chromed lever on top of the machine (sticking up at the back right above the lid there) you have to push to the the right and hold it there to release the part that runs on the cam stack; it will allow the stitch selector (numbered 1 to 4) to easily slide up and down when pushed in. When cleaned and oiled nothing needs force or brute action, so be a bit careful until you get the hang of it.

To pop up the top of the freearm; when you open the lid for the bobbin case there is a dark metal bit with a spring action sitting in a visible groove in the left part of the free arm (upper most part under there). This was rather stuck on mine and it took me a while to figure out how to make it release the lid. You just press it to towards the right with someting like a screw driver if it's a bit stuck. Mine eased up after a bit of oil in the right place (easily done when the top is off).

The oil points are easy enough to detect by observing moving parts when turning the hand wheel, moving levers, and knobs. The face plate has a screw inside the hole above the light switch, it has a keyhole shaped part for the screw; you need a screw driver for this. There's quite a few hinges, levers, grooves, gears, spiral shaped gears, and holes that needs oil, and it can take a bit of effort and repeated applications to make it run smooth.
    Last edited by Mickey2; 01-30-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    I had the hardest time with the bobbin on the ones I've had. When I got used to passing thread through that little loop on the top of the bobbin case I fell in love. I have a Singer 115 with a similar bobbin case. I love it, too.

I don't know if you have had a chance to look at your machine yet, but I take a chance and add a few things that might be a bit helpful (bobbins are of a type used on industrial machines too). Mine has "Needle system 1738" embossed in the needle plate, which means round shank industrial type. They are easily found at a good price. I find it's a must to have a good selection of them for various types o fabric and thread weight. A correct match of thread and needle makes the stitch qualith much better, especially satin stitches. Mine behaves very well now, but I still have a few things to sort out. Under the bobbin wheel there's a plate covering two drive belts (freearm version only). The pulley with grooves for the two drive belts ran very sluggish on mine, it had to come off and are now cleaned and greased. Sooner or later I need new belts on mine, I plan to try the lugged neoprene type, I just need to brave up, measure the correct size and order new ones. I hope to find an accessory box, and maybe some cams.
    Last edited by Mickey2; 01-31-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3