Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ? >

Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ?

Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ?

Old 06-26-2015, 10:56 AM

Hopefully another photo will pop up with this reply! Maybe its my connection out here?

Anyways, thankyou to all who have commented and welcomed me, I am so excited to read and learn from you all!

Its 455am here and I have coffee and are rearing to open her up and look some more!
Attached Thumbnails img_1001.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 AM

I love her little like half castor rollers on her legs, as she is quiet heavy to move.
Attached Thumbnails img_0993-2-.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 01:04 PM
KLO

Did you open her up to see if she has the bobbin and/or shuttle? Maybe there were bobbins in the little container you got with it? Hope so! Not so sure that any horse sense will help with using this machine but certainly if you train horses, you have the patience to get this working. Good luck to you! Oh and I too am interested to know exactly what that u shaped piece is for.

Also wanted to welcome you to the Board from North Carolina. Others will be chiming in to help with all your questions. There are a number of people here who are extremely knowledgeable.

Last edited by KLO; 06-26-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Banned

that "loop thing" is actually the spool holder for sewing. the right spool pin is for the thread to load the bobbin (so you can load the next while sewing)

That design for a spool pin holder was from the Wheeler & Wilson #9(later W9, than after Singer bought W&W (1905) the Singer 9w)
Old 06-26-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by stonewoman View Post
I'm not sure what it is sorry, unless its got 4 legs and a tail, I'm hopeless!
You sound like my daughter, never could get her interested in sewing. That metal piece that makes a big U reminds me of an attachment for a Pfaff 30 for putting a spool of thread on it. The old pfaff piece does not make the big loop, like this one though.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=KLO;7239373]Did you open her up to see if she has the bobbin and/or shuttle? Maybe there were bobbins in the little container you got with it? Hope so! Not so sure that any horse sense will help with using this machine but certainly if you train horses, you have the patience to get this working. Good luck to you! Oh and I too am interested to know exactly what that u shaped piece is for.

Thankyou for you welcome KLO, you sure do come from a beautiful part of our world. I visited a place called Raleigh a few years back on a bus tour from NY through to Memphis. Love the southern states

Have found lots of bobbins and dozens of needles in the tin, along with all sorts of metal thingys ! (Sorry bout the descriptions but needles and bobbins are my limit - hahaha )
I have been flat stick (busy) since early this morning but did manage to get to Bunnings (your Home Depot) and get some supplies to start cleaning.

Could someone please advise me on which to start on first.. The machine, the cabinet or the cast iron part?
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by stonewoman View Post
I love her little like half castor rollers on her legs, as she is quiet heavy to move.
Wheels only go sideways so wont move away fro sewer while treadling. Legs are gorgeous!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM
KLO

Yes, stonewoman (shouldn't your name be horsewoman?) Raleigh is only about 1 1/2 hours away from me going east. The southern states can be beautiful but it is only June and I am already tired of the heat. Can you tell that I am originally from a bit further north?

Good that you found bobbins included. Funny info. about the wheels. I never knew that they built some of these machines with only sideways going wheels so they wouldn't walk away from the treadler. Good idea!

So how does one put a spool of thread on the u shaped piece? I have to assume that the u lifts off somehow?
Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Wheels only go sideways so wont move away fro sewer while treadling. Legs are gorgeous!
Oh! Yes of course that's what they would be for!! Hope I can do justice to the framework when I start cleaning it up. I have been reading the forum like crazy to pick up hints and tips
Old 06-28-2015, 11:09 AM

Good morning everybody

I have read and read and read Glenns tutorials on cleaning etc.. and have a few questions to ask if someone culd please help me ? I think I've attached a photo to show where I am at but wont know till I add this comment..

1) The 2 'plates' and 'disc' thing on the bottom left hand side.. How do I clean or what do I do to get them shiny (if they ever were) As you can see, I have a spare 'disc' from the little tin, so if i ever workout how to get it off shall I just replace that piece?

2) The 2 'prongs' and the round 'rusty' pieces on the same side.. What should I clean them with and can you please tell me what they should look like after?

3)The 2 very shiny 'plates' you can see.. Still have like clear sticky gunk I cannot get off, it was black gunk originally. Help please should someone have experienced this. Its on all the similar 'plates' and looks like it would just wipe off - BUT WILL NOT MOVE!

Thankyou, and I took the photo with the U shaped thingy on its side for those of you whom were interested in it. I don't know what is for, thinking cotton, but it moves nicely now its clean!
Attached Thumbnails img_1008.jpg