Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
bought a "tinker" machine today >

bought a "tinker" machine today

bought a "tinker" machine today

Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Default bought a "tinker" machine today

I have been looking for a machine that I can use to tinker w/doing things like a thorough cleaning, and most especially cleaning and repairing the shellac. Well today I found the machine for the job. At only $9 I figure I can't go wrong if I go wrong. It is a White Family Rotary in a bentwood case. The machine is pretty dirty w/rust and even some of the black chipped off the bed. The decals on the bed are silvered, but the ones on the head are still fairly decent. Surprisingly the underside was pretty clean and rust free. It has the bobbin case, and one bobbin, and the owners manual. After trying to get it to go by spinning the hand wheel towards me I figured out it goes the other way! It is electric and when I first plugged it up it started sewing...w/out me pushing the foot pedal!!! Noticed the motor was making little sparks, and some white wispy smoke, so quickly unplugged it. I guess the foot pedal is the problem w/it sewing on it's own. I can't decided whether to try to rewire or just treadle it...any opinions there? I was pleased to discover that this machine is actually decent, although cosmetically rough. It will be fun getting it all cleaned up and running, then I can clean my others w/out fear.

So, any thoughts about the machine or tips before I begin my adventure would be welcomed. I am going to read through Glenn's shellac thread, but I guess I am undecided as to how to give it the initial cleaning. Do any of you use kerosene? I did give a quick once over w/sm oil but that is all so far.

Thanks,
Jp
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Watch Muv's Youtube videos too. I think they're linked in a thread here or look for videos by Lizzylennard (spelling?)
Sounds like a good practice machine. They're common and the finish already has serious issues. You really can't do any harm and will most likely have it looking a lot better when you're done.
Rodney
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Aluminium foil and plain tap water! Use this on chrome to make shiny. Crumple up a bit of foil, dip in to water then rub the rust covered chrome until shiny. Oh and for cast iron, salt and vegetable oil with a paper towel. It will remove rust too.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
....... Oh and for cast iron, salt and vegetable oil with a paper towel. It will remove rust too.
I haven't heard of this one. I may have to give it a try.
Rodney
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

There are all kinds of rust removers. I have tested a few. Evap-o-rust from Harbor Freight is very nice - works fast. You can always put a suicide knob on there and hand crank it. I have a Franklin I did that with. I took it camping - the kids loved that machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466944[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466945[/ATTACH]
The table was in miserable condition as were the wires - DH cut down the table and put some boards around it to make it go on a table top. Black paint covered over the green and white shabby finish. All in all it worked out. I wondered if that machine was worth the trouble. It was. Franklin and White are about the same - different decals.
Attached Thumbnails heartnut-011.jpg   heartnut-014.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 03-13-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM

I would like to watch the videos but w/limited internet time it is hard.

Thanks for the ideas on rust removal, I will try that and resort to Evapo Rust if I need to, Harbor Freight is about an hour from me.

Miriam, where do I get a knob like that? I had a Singer hc that I liked but a friends little girl liked it, and used it, more so I sold it to them...I like knowing the next generation is enjoying sewing so I did not want to dampen that.
This friend has 6 girls and she is teaching them all sorts of hand and machine work...sewing, quilting, crochet, knit, embroidery etc. I wish I had learned that stuff earlier in life, but I'm glad I did even as an adult.

I went back to the same place today and got a Singer 99 that looks very good but it is missing it's slide plate, half the tensioner and the knobs on the stitch selector. Also, the cord going to the plug and been cut so there is no plug to test it with. I can treadle it to but it has the solid hand wheel so I would have to cut it to make it a hc. Cost $10 and it is in a pretty nice Singer full size bentwood case.

Thanks everyone,
Jp

Last edited by minibarn; 03-13-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

You can get a suicide knob/steering wheel spinner from a car parts store.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You can get a suicide knob/steering wheel spinner from a car parts store.
That's what I thought it was but I was not sure, thanks.

Jp
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
That's what I thought it was but I was not sure, thanks.

Jp
tractor supply - NAPA - Pepboys, etc.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

The suicide knob does only one stitch per turn around but not one kid complained. Going slow is good for the kids who like to race and then have no control. They need to learn to be accurate, speed later.