Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord? >

Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord?

Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Banned

The treadle I bought last year fit just fine in my 1997 Accord, was even able to close the trunk.

Cari
Old 02-21-2015, 05:52 AM

I brought my Columbus Treadle home from Chicago last Thanksgiving. A bunch of young strapping guys did it. I told them the machine should just lift out of the cabinet, but I didn't know about the screws. The other one I have has no screws, you just lift it out. So they carried it down a long flight of stairs and into a Prius. (We had two granddaughter driver helpers along, so it couldn't go in our Prius.)
By putting the back seat-backs down they were able to get in there - with the machine in it. We lost a few pieces of the cabinet, but they are in a drawer, and can be put back on. It was brought to me a few days later, and taken directly to my young sewing machine guy. After it was fixed, it was put into our Prius (with the machine out) and when I got home, I took the cabinet out by myself. But I would not be able to put it in there without help.
So a hatch-back should work.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 AM

Good advice, Rodney. We do the same thing.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 AM

I'm with Rodney.....
Old 02-21-2015, 08:13 AM

I doubt it will fit in the trunk, but I used to haul sewing machines/cabinets in the back seat of my 1992 Camry. Sometimes it was tight, but they fit.

It's also pretty easy to take the top off of the irons, as long as you have a long screwdriver, and transport it that way.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50 View Post
I'm with Rodney.....
Yes separating them is how I go too, unless the screws are stuck or something. Then again I have a 46 year old station wagon that loves carrying my sewing machines. However, I've sold a 1910s Singer treadle to someone with a small hatchback, and it easily went into the back.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:47 AM

Sure! I carried a 1913 model 27 home in the back of a Ford ZX2 and regularly go get machines with the Mustang. You should see people's faces when I show up in a Mustang. "Oh, she's not buying....she can't get it home in that..."

All of the Singer treadle bases I've come across have screws and hooks to separate the wood top from the metal base. Remove the machine and set it on the floor in the back seat because it can't fall off the floor. Load the wood top upside down - it's flatest this way - in the backseat (recline the passenger seat if you can to stop it moving unnecessarily) or the trunk. The irons will fit where you didn't put the top. I think you'd be in trouble with a parlor cabinet.

I think I just figured out why my cousin thinks I need a Flex...
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Take the machine out of the cabinet and then move all into the Honda. I just moved one last week this way. The head comes right out, you do not have to unscrew anything from the cabinet, but you may have to unscrew the grub screws, do not lose them!!Slip the belt off. Try to carry the cabinet by the metal parts not the wood. It could break off.