Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord? >

Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord?

Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM

Default Can a treadle fit in my Honda Accord?

I am thinking seriously about purchasing a singer treadle sewing machine. it has five drawers and I am hoping it will fit in the trunk of my car (maybe with the trunk tied down and partially open). The I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this
Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I can get anything in my Honda Fit - don't know much about the Accord.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM

All I can say is bring a screwdriver. The machine-unless it's very old like a fiddlebase- will likely have 2 screws underneath holding it to the hinge pins. Back those screws out and take the machine out of the cabinet. The cabinet will be lighter and the machine won't be hanging off the hinges and bouncing around on the way home.
I do it for every machine in a cabinet that I haul. It's easier and safer.
Rodney
Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I figured she already knew to take it apart.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I would measure the treadle in height and width and see how close it would be. They are VERY heavy. My last car was a Subaru Outback and everything except for 4'x8' sheet of plywood fit in there. Do you know anybody with a larger vehicle??
Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Willit fit

Sheri,

My wife and I drove to Wenatchee, Wa. last June to pickup a 1896 5 drawer Standard treadle. I used my 2013 Elantra and it fit like a glove(literally)and made the trip home, about 2600 miles with no problem. We did not use our Gran Marque or my truck-it's a gas mileage thing-and the Elantra was newer with GPM averaging around 40+. The Accord shows 15.8 cu. ft. cargo space vs. Elantra @ 14.8. I removed the machine head and the 4 lge. drawers. The rear seats were laid down and the machine was placed in the trunk, feet first, front of base face up and made the trip back to Ponchatoula, La. with no problem. We were on the road for 2 wks. w/luggage. The machine is now my avatar. Hope this helps.

Soman2

The other Rodney

PS-I recently P/U a 1920's Singer treadle down in New Orleans with the Elantra.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:13 PM

It should fit. After all a Honda ... Fit, is smaller than an Accord. However just to be on the safe size pick up a tube of Singer grease. Then coat the edges of the treadle and it will sliiiiippp right in.

Joe
Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM

But isn't a Honda Fit a hatchback?

With the Accord, it depends on the depth of opening of the trunk. I have a Honda Civic and a cabinet will NOT fit in the trunk. It is amazing what I can get in the back seat, though, with the front seats pushed all the way forward. I've hauled several cabinets with drawers on one side in it...but no treadles. Is yours a two-seater or 4-door sedan? I do think the Accord's trunk might be deeper but it might depend on the year of manufacture.

I have a Singer treadle with 4 drawers in a cabinet and the top is about 17" wide by 34" long. Take a piece of cardboard (or something) and cut it to about that measurement and see if it looks like that would fit into the opening of your trunk angling it in like it would be the cabinet...that will at least give you an idea.

I think you can haul it with enough determination. Like Rodney said, take the machine out first. Take a couple of blankets to wrap things in and a couple of flathead screwdrivers--one with about 1/4" blade and a bigger and longer one. If it looks like the cabinet won't go in whole, then take the top of the cabinet off of the treadle irons, which should be attached with just large screws (which is what the bigger screwdriver with longer handle is for)...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Take a flashlight so you can see up inside the cabinet if necessary. A bottle of liquid wrench or kroil or something like that is also a good idea in case the set screws on the hinges are hard to loosen.

If you're unsure about dis-assembly, take pictures during the process so you know where everything goes. Take a couple of plastic baggies to put parts in (and accessories if the machine includes them).

I would put the wooden cabinet wrapped in a blanket on the back seat and the irons and machine in the trunk (also wrapped).

Capturing the prey is the most fun part.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help I really appreciate it!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

AH yes a Fit is a hatch back - I bet and Accord is one we tried to fit a small table in once and it wouldn't even go through a side door. I think you can dis-assemble the treadle if you have to.