Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Collecting the black Singer sewing machines >

Collecting the black Singer sewing machines

Collecting the black Singer sewing machines

Old 06-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

You got it bad but who cares..Be happy and enjoy all those machines....
Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 AM

OK! Now I am a mess. I found the Singer 160th Anniversary Edition on eBay for a low selling price. I had not researched them, I had just seen a few pictures. I jumped on it, asking for it to be packaged well. It arrived in an oversized box with lots of white packing material but no where did the packing tape go around the box and the only thing holding it together was the tape across the top flap, but it was not damaged. There were no accessories, so I started looking for them on line and I see that my machine does not have the same decals as the 160th anniversary. It is just the Heritage, that is the same except for the decals and sold for a lot less. I contact the seller, I may return it but then I have to pay for shipping, that is not reimbursed. He says it is my fault because "I did not research" I asked for compensation and I would keep it or I return it for full compensation +shipping and that I do not like leaving poor feedback. He answered now I was threating them and thy were turning it over to eBay. Bring it on! Now thy have made me angry.
Why do I even look on eBay? It only drives me nuts! I am sticking to old black Singers! AND, not on eBay.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:47 AM

My family sees only the machines on the main floor of the house. If they are in a case they are invisible to them. I just counted 18 on this floor . I am not going to count the rest because then I would have to answer the question with a number. Right now when people ask How Many Do you have I can say I'm not sure.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 AM

I only have 15 machines so far, so obviously I'm just getting warmed up!

I got into old machines from being a quilter. I wanted a Rocketeer even before that, though, I saw one at a friend's house but didn't know really what it was called or anything about it other than it looked awesome and I wanted one. But I wasn't really sewing much at the time and didn't search one out and sort of forgot about it. Then once I got into quilting and started getting exposed to vintage machines at classes and such, it got me interested again. It started with finding an old Pfaff like my Grandma's - the machine I learned to sew on. Then I found a rusty, beat up singer 15 for $20 and decided I wanted to try to restore it (still haven't done that). Then...well. It just went on from there!

The more I learn, the more machines I want! But for me, the hunt is at least 50% of the fun. I wouldn't want someone to just go down my wishlist and hand all of those machines to me, that would be disappointing and no fun at all.

It's gotten to the point where my sewing room can't serve as my sewing room anymore because it's too cluttered with machines and spare parts! SO, we're in the process of cleaning out another bedroom upstairs that was just being used to store extra furniture and suitcases, and that's going to become the "indoor shop" where I can twiddle on sewing machines and DH can twiddle on his old radios.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:59 AM

If that one was advertized as 160th Anniversary Edition and it was not - put in a claim with eBay- and see what they decide.

if the seller didn't say anything about it being the special edition, then it's your mistake.

I've only encountered a few bad sellers on eBay - but boy can the really spoil things. But I've bought a LOT on eBay, and the good outweighs the bad.

I've learned that some sellers are clueless - but there are many that deliberately misrepresent in their writeup- those are the ones that when you contact them about their mistake, they pretty much tell you to take a hike and make no changes - so you know they are hoping to get a buyer that does not catch that the item in the picture is NOT what they are saying it is.

The clueless ones I'm fine with - they simply state "Don't have a clue - figure it out for yourself!"

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-17-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:17 PM

Well, I didn't start out to collect machines, either, but I have quite a few. Of course, I've had my 328-K since 1963 (purchased new), then I ended up with a couple of Singer T & S Machines, my mother's 1425, a white FW, a Baby-Lock Serger, a Singer 403A, and inherited a National Two-Spool, a Singer 201, and there are a couple of more that I have no idea what they are (my son collected them), so I've got 11 machines???? Yeah, I think I'm probably caught!

Jeanette
Old 06-21-2015, 05:13 AM

You know you have it bad when you see a machine on eBay and literally DREAM about it for 3 nights in a row. I just got up and put a bid in on it - if it's that stuck in my head, I should go ahead and buy it. Or try to, anyway.

Right? LOL
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
You know you have it bad when you see a machine on eBay and literally DREAM about it for 3 nights in a row. I just got up and put a bid in on it - if it's that stuck in my head, I should go ahead and buy it. Or try to, anyway.

Right? LOL
What is it that vexes it?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

Right? LOL
When that happened to me I whined until my son bought it for me, lol. He did make me agree to get rid of 3 other machines for every new one, yeah that agreement lasted all of 5 minutes.

Cari
Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 AM

I actually bid on two machines this weekend that I was obsessing over. Lost one, but won the other - a Singer 319W. I discovered that they have a reputation for being noisy and clunky and they take 206x13 needles but I saw those funky levers and just HAD to have it anyway. I haven't played with any early Singer zz machines so that'll be fun. I probably overpaid but I don't even care, it was stuck in my wee brain so firmly that I had to have it. I only put in the one bid, guess nobody else wanted a typewriter/sewing machine hybrid, LOL. (That's what those levers look like to me - typewriter keys) I got a green one - it'll match my 185J.