Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Collecting the black Singer sewing machines >

Collecting the black Singer sewing machines

Collecting the black Singer sewing machines

Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Collecting the black Singer sewing machines

So how bad do it have "it"? It all started with quilting, then you have to have a Featherweight. I found a beautiful1937. One day the 19-51 showed up, followed by the Centennial 201. I needed a second FW because I did not have the striated face. Then it was 301's, a beige and 2 black. When I found a FW, Oct. 1950 (my birth year) with a Centennial badge I started thinking I should have the 160th anniversary black electronic too, even though I hear they are not a good machine. I read about the 99 and the Spartan and think I have enough, but then none cost as much as my husbands gun collection so may be he will not say to much. Actually there is no competition there, he knows he has me beat. Will it stop? Will it evolve to something else? Or, am I just a lost cause? I really am enjoying them.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 PM

No hope for you.

I have the Singer 160(th anniversary edition). It is a decent low end computerized machine. Nothing special except maybe in the soft edged very bulky shape. The same stitches as TouchTronics from the '80s mostly. It was too expensive when it came out but when it was re released as Singer One and when the anniversary plastic was not used any more the price went down.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:50 AM

Smile

No...it won't stop! My obsession began a few years ago when I purchased a vintage Necchi from our local thrift store. Then I began collecting the Singers. I, then, began restoring the machines and cabinets until I don't have any more room in my 2400 sq ft home (and 3-car garage). I'm lucky, though, because my husband is "almost" as obsessed as I am...lol! It's a wonderful hobby. My obsession also began with quilting.

Last edited by Surfergirl; 06-12-2015 at 02:52 AM. Reason: additional message
Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 AM

Number 1 item of advice - if you want to control a machine addiction - GET OFF THIS BOARD!!! You'll be hard pressed to find a more dedicated group of enablers!

#2 Try to be firm and stay with Singers. I didn't fall off the deep end until I ventured away from Singers. I was really good for a while, and then my husband found the Two Spool . . . and then I fell in love with a machine on Craigslist - and the New Queen came home with me. Then those two felt lonely being the only non-singers. So they started sending out vibes to get me looking for more. Maybe if I had not had them both in the bedroom, they would not have had such control . . . no I have twice as many non-Singers as Singers.

I also fell in love with Singer cabinets - machines take up enough room, but collecting cabinets is overboard.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:18 AM

Thank goodness!! I had thought I was overboard with my lust for Singers 221 and the 301's! I just sold one of my 301 two tone and 1 FW recently at an godawful low price but it did eased up space around my area....I only have 7 machines now that includes an embroidery machine ( haven't used this one yet,brought at estate) those older Singers are hard to beat in workmanship quality....no disrespect for other brands, just never had any others to use.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 AM

Yup, you're in good company here. I started with quilting and it now includes several vintage machines (thank's to the members on this site)! Oh, I don't mean they sold me the machines; just soaked in their facts, knowledge, photos, and the obsession took hold. Can't knock the quality of those old machines. Love the fact they were made to last more than a lifetime and can be self maintained and repaired. I have lost track of how many machines I've collected in just over three years! I'll have to take an inventory and make a notebook record of them (for the next generation)!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 AM

I have limited my collection to 2 FW and one Montgomery Ward treadle. THere's just no room and I can only sew on one machine at a time. I think collecting the machines is great and they ARE useful, but thank goodness I live in a small home so there's no worry about more machines.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:30 AM

You asked if it would stop... Why would you want to stop? That would make the rest of us look bad...
Old 06-12-2015, 05:30 AM

There is always more room. You find creative ways to store them. There is no hope. Whatever "rules" you set for yourself never seem to cover it all. Another one will always sneak in.

On the positive note it's a really really fun hobby and not too terribly expensive as long as you are a good thrifter!

I started collecting and repairing machines, then had to take up quilting to justify all the sewing machines!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Oh ! I am relating to all of these comments as I am in same position. That is problem this week with this Kenmore to be taken to church hall to use for my charity work. Cabinet could be used for another machine I have here. Lucky I leave some in Fl but don't NEED more .
Like you they find me all except that 201 that I sometimes want.
Anyone have cabinet with spring assembly under the shelf that helps machine fold down ?