Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Collectors sometimes amaze me, but ..... >

Collectors sometimes amaze me, but .....

Collectors sometimes amaze me, but .....

Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've come across two types of "dealers" - those that are doing it to make money, and that are acutally hoarders in disguise.

I could easily rent a booth for $35 a month, and then store all my machines in a nice, clean, climate controlled building. And I could put " in my dreams" prices on the, because, well, if someone wants it that bad, I'm willing to part with it.
Great idea!!! but what about theft?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM

My wife and I played with selling antiques for a few years. We stopped about 5 years ago. We figured to make any money at all we needed to buy at about 1/3 of the selling price. The rest went toward space rent, fuel and other costs for acquiring the antiques. In our market small antique and vintage items sold a lot faster than larger items. Many of the items we sold weren't actually antique or vintage at all. We never hid the fact. If you think small gifty items you have the right idea.
We have one sewing machine we priced at $35 that didn't sell. It's actually a neat little machine. It's a 3/4 size Wards Brunswick VS machine. It needs a complete rewire. I might bring it to our March 14 get together for a demo.
Rodney
Old 03-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Macybaby and Steve, I agree with both of you! Sewing machines sometimes appear to be in the same category as thoroughbred horses. Living in the Horse Capital of the World (Marion County, Florida) reflects the fantasy as to the horses. Horses in this area are pretty much a hobby. If the horse owners/breeders make a lot of money on their horses as a hobby -- their income taxes are extremely high because they can't deduct the expenses of keeping the farm afloat, only the expenses of maintaining the horses which brought in the $$$$$$! This is, at least, the public perception; that's all I've got is a public perception! LOL! I once worked for an attorney who owned a horse farm. Sewing machines are different because they actually produce garments, quilts, etc., all useful objects. And we all know what horse produce!

Jeanette
Old 03-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Sewing machines are different because they actually produce garments, quilts, etc., all useful objects. And we all know what horse produce!
Jeanette
Jeanette, that is WAY TOO FUNNY.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:44 PM

Miriam, I'm glad somebody thinks it was funny. I didn't set out to be a comedian, but I hope I didn't offend anyone. I think horses are beautiful, but -----??????

Jeanette
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM

Horses produce manure which after 6 months or so can be used as fertilizer. Sadly, they produce lots of going to be fertilizer which mostly can't be sold for diddly squat anyways. But I love horses.

Manure used too fresh will burn the area trying to be fertilized. Had horses my entire childhood and shoveled lots of byproduct. Learned to ride on a Shetland pony. If you could ride him, you could ride anything we owned.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM

For thirty plus years, I bought and sold antiques...the rationale I used was.... so, I have to pay top dollar for a rare item, look at all the not so rare items I was able to buy inexpensively and make a profit on. The rare one may remain in inventory longer and the other turn shortly. Just my justification for my selfish wants....lol
Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM

Please don't misunderstand, I have nothing against horses. I love them, and there's nothing quite like seeing a group of horses running around the pasture or just calmly grazing. This is the Horse Capital of the World according to the Chamber of Commerce. I never had the pleasure of learning to ride -- we worked in the family garden and sometimes in other gardens/vineyards, etc. I've been sewing for most of my life and I love it -- it is attainable for me, and it has provided many useful items such as clothing for myself, baby gifts, a baby quilt (or 2) clothing for my son, a suit I made for my husband, potholders, table runners, and large quilts. That was my rationale, and not meant for any criticism of the horses at all!

Jeanette
Old 03-12-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Please don't misunderstand, I have nothing against horses. I love them, and there's nothing quite like seeing a group of horses running around the pasture or just calmly grazing. This is the Horse Capital of the World according to the Chamber of Commerce. I never had the pleasure of learning to ride -- we worked in the family garden and sometimes in other gardens/vineyards, etc. I've been sewing for most of my life and I love it -- it is attainable for me, and it has provided many useful items such as clothing for myself, baby gifts, a baby quilt (or 2) clothing for my son, a suit I made for my husband, potholders, table runners, and large quilts. That was my rationale, and not meant for any criticism of the horses at all! Jeanette
Not taken as criticism. Horses also produce foals. You had asked what do horses produce & I had given an answer. In my case, they were also my confidantes when life was shitty which is quite often was. Their byproduct also had another benefit for my father - he used shoveling out the stalls, to his satisfaction, as a punishment.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 AM

Slave labor is one of the benefits of having children. I've spent my share of time doing chores as punishment too.
If you can get it horse manure is better than cow manure as a fertilizer. Rhubarb loves it. You also have the benefit of knowing horses are raised primarily as pets. They're not raised in unclean factory conditions like some other farm animals can be.