Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The darndest thing just happened with one of my 9W-7s >

The darndest thing just happened with one of my 9W-7s

The darndest thing just happened with one of my 9W-7s

Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 AM

Ack! I hope you find a way to get that little bit out. Not fun.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Cold expands, heat contracts. Electronics stores, Walmart or Staples will have Freeze Spray. It is used to quickly cool electronics. Clamp onto the remaining needle with a pair of pliers, spray the needle bar and pull at the same time. Your needle stub should pull free.
I think you might have meant the other way around. Heat expands, cold contracts.
Rodney
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 AM

i dont remember on this one, is there a clearance hole for the needle stop, where u might push in the end of a scribe, or shoot some ____________?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 AM

no - HEAT expands, cold contracts - that is why you run a LID under hot water, not the jar.

All except water - which starts expanding again when it freezes, which is a very, very good thing . . .
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
have you tried WD40 ? it might loosen up the needle a bit for you to be able to pull it out.
I had this happen a few years ago and for about a week I would put sewing machine oil on/in the small hole daily and it finally slipped out on its own. Put an old wash cloth under the needle -like they say 'hind sight is 20-20'
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM

OK, the stump of the broken needle is out. I clamped a set of Vise Grips on it and tapped it out. It took three tries, tightening the Vise Grips each time before they could grip hard enough to not slip off.

The victimized needle is a Schmetz 15x1 size 16.

One thing I noticed is that modern needles have a short taper, almost a point, at the top of the needle. If your machine has a cross wise needle stop that makes no difference. But this machine does not.
oldsewandsew here's your answer. The 9W-7 and the WW D9 predecessor and probably others do not have a cross wise needle stop nor a place to insert anything to encourage the needle to come out. There is a small diameter hole that intersects the needle hole, but it's so small I don't think you could get anything in there strong enough to have any leverage.

When this machine was modified to use 15x1s, the needle hole was opened up from 1.4 mm to 2.0 mm just deep enough for the 15x1s to time up. The 127x1s still fit and work just fine.

What happened this time is the taper on the top of the needle was forced into the smaller hole as a friction fit and jammed tight. Something that would not usually happen.

After getting the broken needle out I checked the needle bar, it didn't look to have moved in the mounts, or be bent. The needles both the original 127x1 and the 15x1s will mount up and pass through the hole in the needle plate with no problems.

Then I decided to check the hook timing. As far as I can tell it's OK. However ... (there's always a however) I noticed the very tippy end of the hook is broken off. Not enough to really alter the timing, but it's a rough squared end now instead of a point. I don't know if it happened last night or has been there for a while.
I think I might be able to stone and polish it back to a point then re-time it if needed.

So later today I'll thread it up and see if the machine still sews. I think it will.

Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM

sounds sort of like what I just did with my Bailey (long arm quilter) I put in the bobbin and didn't notice that I bumped one of the latches that hold it all in place - so all of a sudden the bobbin case and shuttle was able to move forward, and the needle came down on top of them. Broke the needle, it did jam a bit but didn't take that much to get free. However I also ended up with a big bur on the very tip of the shuttle hook. Got it polished down and everything is working fine.

My machine came with a spare shuttle hook - because jamming the needle into the shuttle hook is pretty easy to do when you are FMQ.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:04 PM

I still haven't completely figured out what I did. I can accept that I pulled the fabric and totalled the needle. Done that before. But what happened to break the tip off the hook? That did happen yesterday because today it won't pick up the thread for nothing. I tried several times and it just wont. So, I broke it ...

Anybody got a spare bobbin hook for a Singer 9W-7 that uses the FW style bobbin?

Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM

I'll look when I get back in town tonight. I'll PM you either way. Send me a picture of the old hook. They can usually be salvaged, but grinding on the wrong surface will kill them.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I still haven't completely figured out what I did. I can accept that I pulled the fabric and totalled the needle. Done that before. But what happened to break the tip off the hook? That did happen yesterday because today it won't pick up the thread for nothing. I tried several times and it just wont. So, I broke it ...

Anybody got a spare bobbin hook for a Singer 9W-7 that uses the FW style bobbin?

Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Cathy,

Will do on the pic. Do I have your email? Sending pics through the PM is a royal pain. No upload thingy.

Joe

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: language