Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dropped my featherweight tonight but I got lucky. Show me your bags! ;) >

Dropped my featherweight tonight but I got lucky. Show me your bags! ;)

Dropped my featherweight tonight but I got lucky. Show me your bags! ;)

Old 10-20-2015, 09:49 AM

I also would make the straps wider/stronger. I like the idea of straps that go under the bag as well.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:01 AM

I use a Tutto Serger case for my FW and an XL Tutto for my Janome when I have take her somewhere. On the other hand, I also have a nice pattern for a FW that I have yet to sew.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the suggestions. For those who aren't carrying a hard case but have the machine in a softbag, do you find that the machine is more susceptible to scratches from the bag or bumps and bruises?

I've tried the rolling bags but here where it snows a lot in the winter, I've actually yanked the wheels out of alignment /off trying to pull something heavy through the snow, plus then it's all wet when you get it inside and drips everywhere. So for my immediate purposes, it doesn't work even though I love taking the weight off my shoulder with a rolling bag.

caspharm - which pattern is it that you have for the FW? I have come across a few but so far would modify all of them. Yeah, I'm being picky but that's probably because her tumble is so fresh in my mind.

I'll be poking around eBay and etsy for ideas for sure today - she did tweak my shoulder and neck yesterday so I'm slow moving today. Good day for gathering ideas.

Sewnoma, if you're still reading this, I'd love to see the one you liked!

Holly H, what you describe is part of why I try to carry smaller bags. It's like a purse, the bigger it is, the more stuff I cram in it.

Rodney - yes, this is one place where it's possible that on a strictly materials basis that fabric might be cheaper than building with wood just because of the cost of hardware. Plus, I find that a bag bumping against my hip is easier to manage than something solid. I'll post what I manage to come up with, even if it means necromancering the thread.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I find carrying my FW in its original box too heavy for me. This is what I use:
http://www.221parts.com/bag1.html
Love it!
I had a hard case for mine, but my cat kept clawing it. So, I bought another one and kept the cat away, but somehow he found it again. Finally my husband got me one just like this from an ad in a quilt magazine, but mine is black and says Featherweight on the side in white. My machine loves it and so do I, and the cat doesn't. I have been using it for years and it is great and still looks brand new. I like the soft corners. Mine holds the foot/cord, a surge protector and a long extension cord and the machine. There would be enough room for attachments also. I use it when I take classes and on vacation. I don't think I would trust one of the homemade tote bags.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:52 PM

I usually carry my FW in her case, but recently bought a Janome Jem 720 for classes and workshops. I'm thinking that FW case might work for it, too. Hmm. Will have to compare measurements for it. My big Janome goes into a wheely bag I got from Harbor Freight a year ago after reading about it on this board.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 PM

The pattern is "Featherweight case covers for the 221 by Jean Meier, but here is a link to someone who took that pattern and modified it (http://maggiemayquilts.blogspot.com/...herweight.html). The gal has a photo of the pattern. I like her modifications.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:36 PM

• At the CraftyHipster web site under the name “Sew a Singer Featherweight Tote” is a pattern for a Featherweight cover and tote combination. If I made this I would put the straps all the way under the tote and use a padded material or a quilt. I do not think there is a charge for this pattern.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by VernaL View Post
I had a hard case for mine, but my cat kept clawing it. So, I bought another one and kept the cat away, but somehow he found it again. Finally my husband got me one just like this from an ad in a quilt magazine, but mine is black and says Featherweight on the side in white. My machine loves it and so do I, and the cat doesn't. I have been using it for years and it is great and still looks brand new. I like the soft corners. Mine holds the foot/cord, a surge protector and a long extension cord and the machine. There would be enough room for attachments also. I use it when I take classes and on vacation. I don't think I would trust one of the homemade tote bags.
I've been really lucky. Our first cat (Gizmo, my little grey lady) used to scratch wood. She loved it. I have a couple of TV tables that have noticeably contoured legs now but she was gone before I sewed. Shadow likes her scratching post and only her scratching post and Stormi scratches carpet but never seems to do it any damage. It's like she combs it or something. Both of them love the sewing machines and never harm them. I do have to watch Shadow though, she sometimes licks the machines and seems to have a taste for TriFlow... *sigh*

Why wouldn't you trust a home made tote? With appropriate seams and straps that go around the bottom, I'd be comfortable with that. I've seen the quality of several commercially made bags and don't trust a lot of them as a result.

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
The pattern is "Featherweight case covers for the 221 by Jean Meier, but here is a link to someone who took that pattern and modified it (http://maggiemayquilts.blogspot.com/...herweight.html). The gal has a photo of the pattern. I like her modifications.
Thanks! I hadn't come across that one yet.

I'm really loving this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/2163829...r-your-vintage

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
  • At the CraftyHipster web site under the name “Sew a Singer Featherweight Tote” is a pattern for a Featherweight cover and tote combination. If I made this I would put the straps all the way under the tote and use a padded material or a quilt. I do not think there is a charge for this pattern.
KenZ, I came across this one too. It's a pretty basic design and easily modified. It will likely be what I start from. I always forget how to do the box bottom for instance. Definitely straps underneath. I'm actually pondering an idea where they are inside the layers so they're not conspicuous but so that they're still there doing their job. Because I have a Long Arm and an industrial tailoring machine at my disposal, I should be able to get away with that as far as piercing power. I'm also thinking of one of the heavier threads for all of the stitches that will be the most load bearing - like the bottom seams.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:39 PM

They fit in a hard hanging file box too. I have a spare box I keep just for my FW if I need to store it/take it somewhere. The original case for mine looks nice, but makes my eyes water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533767[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails portafile-black-letter-size-hanging-file-box-p11404703.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 06:07 PM

I love that! Most of the file boxes I have here are half sized but I'll take a peek the next time I'm in town! Have you tried Dave McCallum's light bulb trick to get rid of the smell in the case?