Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Elna supermatic case/bed extension. >

Elna supermatic case/bed extension.

Elna supermatic case/bed extension.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:16 AM

Default Loved my Elna

I sewed on a supermatic for 58 years. It sewed everything leather to silk. I cried when it couldn't be fixed. Repair man said it was the only supermatic he'd ever seen completely worn out and they didn't make replacement parts for it. The drive wheel was still good because it never sit longer than a day or two without sewing, (they go flat when they sit for years without use).
Old 07-16-2018, 06:13 AM

Sewfew, What a great review. Thanks so much.

Irishrose2, you posted it on my other Elna thread. I got them mixed up.

I am glad I like to tinker on them.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 AM

I use my Elna quite a bit, among the double layer cams there are some nice stitch patterns and the freearm is very handy some times. Another thing about the Supermatic, it takes top stitch thread as well as lighter weights, and it takes large size needles. These days #19 is the larges good quality needle I can find, but there is a Chinese brand that stil makes up to size #22, it's handy for top stitch thread denselly woven materials. Singer and others had these sizes when cast iron models still were the norm. Not all zigzagger handles top sititch thread and size #18 is usually maximum. The bobbin tension setting screw is numbered, it makes it easier to readjust bobbin tension back to the general sew-all weight.

I'm not sure which type of machine you have now Sewfew, but the odd Supermatic turns up now and then, and these days it's possible to get an aluminium friction wheel, fitted with O-rings. I have it on mine and it works well.

Last edited by Mickey2; 07-16-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 AM

DOh. The TSP fits the blue case extension. The SU has a flat bed . Won't fit the slot and is even too wide for the case to close around it.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=I'm not sure which type of machine you have now Sewfew, but the odd Supermatic turns up now and then, and these days it's possible to get an aluminium friction wheel, fitted with O-rings. I have it on mine and it works well.[/QUOTE]

I purchased a new Brother - hated how it bounced around on the table! I used it about 9 months and gave it away. I had to go back to the older metal machines, so I started searching. I found a Necchi Supernova at yard sale for $10.00 with all the attachments. I also found Singer 15-91 for $25.00 and last week I got a Singer 201 in a cabinet for $70.00. I'm loving all three of these.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Does anyone know a source for an aluminium friction wheel, fitted with O-rings? I guess I am looking for something permanent and reasonable. I have been reading quite a bit about these lately. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Very cool! I've always wondered why it had that flap in the case.