Favorite Machine?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Let me start by saying, IMO, the Elna is not for quilting. I like a straight stitch machine for piecing - the Elna liked to eat points on HSTs but the big problem is self adjusting presser foot. You cannot manually adjust it and sometimes you need less pressure, especially if you try to do any quilting. I did SITD one quilt on it before I bought the 301, but it wasn't fun.
Now with that said, I have to tell you that that little machine has sewn anything that could be forced under the presser foot - fire retardant racing suits, men's suits, wedding dresses, bathing suits, drapes, upholstery with heavy velour fabric, 2 layers of men's belt leather, tennis shoes, almost every dress or pair of dress pants my family wore. It has a very pretty satin stitch and can fake a buttonhole stitch for applique. And it never complains. The paint on the bed is chipped - I've noticed that on some other of the light blue ones, too. If she has to have a flaw, I'd rather have it in the paint that the stitch. Speaking of which because it a Swiss made machine with tight tolerances, the stitch is prefect. My daughters used to tell each other to be careful not to make a mistake with Mom's machine because it's too hard to pick out.
I did make three quilt tops with it years ago, but I went upstairs to my old Kenmore to do the quilting.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM

My favorite machine for sewing and piecing is my older Kenmore 158......series. Love it!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

I think my favorite is a Singer 403. It is simple yet it can do fancy stitches and it got there before some of the other stuff I have... LOL... I also really like the old 15s whether Singer or clones because they are so easy to maintain & they do a good job sewing and they seem very well made. I'd say I have a list as long as my arm of machines I have liked. I like sewing on a whole ton of various machines. Maybe my favorite is the one I'm liking at the time - it might be quicker to say what machines I don't like. I haven't seen an older simple Montgomery Ward or Kenmore machine I didn't like - well except I don't really like the old godzilla machines. I think it is the texture though. I haven't seen everything yet though - I'm trying... White made a lot of very fine machines. I had a Phoenix Rotary that I really liked and thought about keeping but I wasn't using it so I sold it. For a long time I used an Elna and I was totally bummed out when the motor gave out for the umteenth time. I like the old metal machines. I'm not very wild about the plastic wonder machines at all - they just don't feel right.

Last edited by miriam; 09-12-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33 PM

I don't have experience on a large variety of machine but of the few I own, my 15-91. I am amazed at how well it handles heavy fabrics and makes a straight seam without much guidance.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
Singer 201. Hands down.
Yes yes yes.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:27 AM

It is a toss up between my Singer 15-91 and my Singer 201 handcrank. Just purchased a Singer 301, and it also has a beautiful straight stitch, time will tell if it becomes a favorite!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:39 AM

I love my Singer 301 and my Juki TL-2000QI
Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 AM

My early non-scientific thinking is the 15s, 301s, 221s are weighing as the favorites from those replying. Some are saying the 201, but not many are routinely using them. This fits my own observations-the old metal Singers seem to be the SS of choice. I'm kind of surprised only a couple have mentioned the Kenmores.

I'm hoping we will have more replies, especially from those using other machines.

Last edited by Vridar; 09-13-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Hard to choose. I love my 15-91 and my 201 but also my 301.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:02 AM

Does it count if I know almost nothing about sewing yet? If I am better with a screwdriver than with a presser foot? Because in my very most humble and novice and dismissable opinion, I must say that Ziggy, my Phoenix 429 zick-zack nahmaschine, gives the prettiest stitch of all my machines. Amazing zig zag. Amazing.

I have two Elnas (a Green Supermatic and an SU62), and while I love the Green Girl cosmetically, and I love the quietness of the 62, and I love the cams of them both (duckies! Who can top that?!?), I find they are hard to get a balanced stitch, tension etc. But maybe I am just not that clever yet. I am not getting rid of them until I become more skilled so I can make a better assessment.

I have a FW, and a Singer Clone (my avatar), and what joys they are also. My Great Blue Avatar is hypnotizing in its quiet humminess stitchiness ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Must stop tinkering and start sewing.

Why? ;-)