Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Favorite machine in your collection and what would complete it >

Favorite machine in your collection and what would complete it

Favorite machine in your collection and what would complete it

Old 06-20-2018, 04:33 PM

I think of the vintage machines I'd have to say the 503a Rocketeer. It's in a cabinet with a knee controller. I have a turquoise 15 clone that is also very nice, but it needs a belt (I think) so I have to give it a little push on the hand wheel to start sewing. After that it sews a beautiful stitch and is very quiet, but having to start it every time is annoying.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Tough question, I am like Cari, whichever one of my 50+ I am sewing on is my favorite for the moment. For straight stitching, I really like my Singer 201-2 or the similar 1200-1. For zigzagging, I choose among a Necchi BU Mira, a Singer 500A, or my late mom's Singer 401A which was just found after 18 years in my late brother's garage. For fun sewing, I have six hand-cranked, vintage Singer VS'ers (27, 28, 127, 128) on which I plan on teaching my five granddaughters to sew. Fun sewing apparel on some great machines!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bethie526 View Post
I've had only one machine since 1964, a Singer 500. It can do most anything and is the last steel machine made in Germany for Singer. Regular cleaning and minor tension adjustments and I'm off and going. My mom gave it to me in 1964 for high school graduation, so cannot get rid of it for a new one and it already does most everything. Recently acquired a quilting foot so now can do free motion quilting. I love it!!
First I want to say welcome to the QB, I hope what I'm about to say doesn't put you off here. The 500 was made in Anderson, SC not in Germany, and it's not the last steel geared Singer. The Rocketeer is a great machine.

Cari
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
My favorite is a cast iron Singer 201K with a belt driven motor. It's nothing special, but it's in a small table and its a joy to work on it. I have a 99 too, a Bernina 730, a Singer 201K23, an Elna Supermatic, and a Phoenix 283F.

I have an eye out for an early cast iron zigzagger, maybe a Necchi too. I still haven't found a 201-2 with the potted motor. This reminds me, I have a few things to sort out on the Phoenix.
I didn't know the 201s were ever made with a belt driven motor. I have two and they both have gear driven potted motors.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 PM

My favorite is my Singer 66 treadle. I'm like a kid with their favorite toy when I sew with it. My other machines excel at certain task so depending on the task that one is my favorite.

The one machine that I would like to have is a metal geared vintage that can also do stretch stitches. It would replace the vintage 1990's plastic machine in a case that I picked up for $20. It works ok but it's not an everyday work horse. I haven't done an active search for a replacement since I rarely need the stretch stitch function.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I didn't know the 201s were ever made with a belt driven motor. I have two and they both have gear driven potted motors.
Here most are belt driven, the beige 201K23 are all belt driven. The Singer machines I get were almost all made at the Kilbowie factory in Scotland. They made a 201K-2, but for some reason I haven't come across one yet. Several belt driven, a few hand cranks and even fewer treadles.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
...The one machine that I would like to have is a metal geared vintage that can also do stretch stitches. It would replace the vintage 1990's plastic machine in a case that I picked up for $20. It works ok but it's not an everyday work horse. I haven't done an active search for a replacement since I rarely need the stretch stitch function.
They are far and few between in my area too. I know there are a few early Gritzner models taking double cams and have all metal gears. There is a thread where they track a few close Gritzner and Kayser models and discover some were imported and sold under the White brand. White was eventually sold to a Japanese company, and the earliest models are pretty close to these German ones. These are reported to be all metal, and I also think the Japanese kept to metal gears for a long time, well into the 60s even 70s.

I have seen early Phoenix and a Adler models with double cams, some report they are all metal, but some have a few plastic gears (I have seen the my self). I have yet to come across the all metal machine with double cams. I guess the 1950s were a period where they experimented, and some were unfortunately given "modern" nylon gears. Some Necchi Supernovas have double cams, they are all metal. There's probably a few brands I haven't discovered yet ;- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-21-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 AM

I love my vintage Viking 6430. I purchased one new in 1975 for almost $1,000. Last year I purchased another one on eBay for around $300, including shipping. I prefer it over all my other machines. However, I take a New Home to classes and sewing days.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:11 AM

My favorite so far is the belt driven 201. The control over the speed and the smoothness of the machine make it very satisfying to use.

I use a Singer 9020 for zigzags, freearm work, and fine materials, and it has turned out to be quite the underdog in that respect.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Banned

My 1887 Singer VS2 is the machine I like sewing on the most and would be the very last machine I would give up.

From my collection point of view, my Singer Letter A is my pride and joy. The G&B MOP Parlor machine that is my Avatar picture was my pride until the Letter A. On Friday I am leaving on a drive from Calif to New Hampshire to take the G&B to it's new home