Featherweight advice

Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM

What a great gift he gave you. Good job DH.

Get the charcoal from the pet store. They sell it in bags.

Set teh charcoal in a glass bowl in the bottom of teh case, close the lid, after a week open and check it. Still smells? CLose the lid and go another week. You can set it in the sun , but be careful of bad weather, critters, and the sun may damage the case if not careful.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 PM

I was told the musty smell is from mold and one can place a LOW light bulb in the case and let is sit a couple days on to kill the mold and it will smell better.
Susan
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Just want to let you know that I have 5 featherweights and mine also smelled musty. I made a small bag (cotton) and put in a cake of Safeguard soap in it and leave it in the case. It smells heavenly!! It may take a while till the smell is gone but I just leave the wrapped soap in the case. I made soap bags for each of them and they are all good smellies!! I hope this works for you also. Slimfeather
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Thank you so much everyone for all of the great advice about getting the smell out of my featherweight's case.I sprayed the case with lysol and sat it out in the sun on the first day, but it still smelled. (not a very hot day) so today we tried the light bulb in the case all day. I will check in the A.M. to see if it worked. Everyone on this board have been so nice and helpful. Thanks again!:)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Yes she is. She just turned a year old and has been a lot of fun. Our one before her lived to be 16 also. She is the third heeler I have had. They are such charactors! Everything has to be their way! Ha Ha
Originally Posted by Bluphrog
This worked for me, and my case smelled so bad that I couldn't keep it in the house! Take the machine out of the case (you are going to be sewing with it, after all) and put a couple tablespoons of ground coffee in the case. I used a couple of the Senseo coffee packs (the one cup coffee maker size) but if you don't have the individual coffee packets, put a couple tablespoons of ground coffee in a filter and tie it up into a little bundle. Then I put the case in the trunk of my car. I left it in the trunk for a week, baking in the sun. When I took the case back in the house, there was no more smell, and just a slight coffee smell. Make sure the car is in the sun, so the trunk really heats up.

Also, if it is a black FW, there is a felt drip pad in the base of the machine. Remove the bottom and remove the pad (it is probably glued to the bottom, so remove it carefully), and glue a new pad to the bottom. Rubber cement is the recommended glue for this.

In addition, if there is any old grease on the gears, remove it with a Q-tip swab and apply new lubricant. Be sure to use the lubricant, not oil on the gears. The old grease sometimes holds the smell, so removing it and relubing the machine will help with the smell and with the operation of the machine.

You can get replacement pads and lubricant at 221Parts.com.

The smell is caused by a mold in the glue they used when manufacturing case and gluing the lining on the inside. You have to kill the mold or the smell will never go away. Some of the methods will help temporarily, but as long as there is any mold alive in case, the odor will come back.

Hope this helps.

Is your dog a blue heeler? We had one for 16 years. Sure do miss her.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM

My case smelled musty so I got a few of those little packets of silicone (they come in shoe boxes etc) and keep them in the case. Made the musty smell go away and keeps the moisture out.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Banned

What a wonderful hubby. that was so sweet. God bless.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM

That was so sweet of Him ,I think my Hubby ould do the same,have fun with it
Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
I have only found one problem with it, the case is in good shape but smells awful!!! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with getting the cases to clean up and smell better? I know alot of you have featherweights and might of had this problem too.
I'm not sure about the smell, but you could try crumpling up some newspapers and putting them inside - of perhaps a bunbath would help, or both. You may need to wipe all the surfaces with a cloth soaked with a diluted soultion of Clorox all over, inside & out and then put it into the sun to dry out quickly.

In this current issue of "Quilter's Home" magazine are directions for making a darling quilted cover for your Featherweight's case.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Go to quiltingboard.com/t-38621-2.htm and the most wonderful man wrote two tutorials on the Featherweight. One will clear your problem of the odor with no effort o cost. I think his name was Eddie. Thanks again Eddie