Featherweight advice

Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM

You lucky girl!!!! Wow!! Your DH is a sweetie!!!

The case for my FW is also smelly. I have tried lots of different things that didn't work so I gave up. I just don't use the case and have it stored where I can't smell it - I'm allergic to mold so I have to be careful. Maybe I will try again - Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 AM

Well to date we tried spraying it with Lysol and sitting it out in the sun, then we tried the 200 watt bulb overnight. It was a little better but not great. Then I wiped it out with bleach water and sat it in the sun some more. It was quite a bit better but not 100%. I took it in to be checked out by the repair shop, so it sat closed up for a few days when I got it back I could still smell it but it is much better. I am going to try putting the safegaurd soap or a dryer sheet in the box for awhile and see if that does any good. If not I am going to try the charcol, alot of people suggested that. Thank you so much for all of the suggestions from everyone! It is not gone but it is a lot easier to live with lol!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 AM

Thank you one and all for the advise about the "smelly" Featherweight case. This is such a great group! Always ready to help. peterparley
Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cabinqltr
This is the advise given on another group, given by an expert.

Featherweightrx: Hello to those who have a smelly case:
There are many things that will go into a Featherweight case in a effort to kill a bad smell. A cubic foot of concrete will do well. The only thing that works to honestly kill the bacteria that causes the smell is heat. If you live where the sun shines, and I mean hot, you can use the sun. Open the case and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days, bring it in in the evening.
I use a 200 watt light bulb (no more, no less) on a wood base so it will not fall over. I leave it in the case (turned on, silly) for 8 hours and when I remove it the smell will be gone. I lightly mist the inside with 50/50 bleach/water and when dry I put in a little cloth tube sewn up with Dove (or who ever's) anti-bacterial bar soap grated so it fits the tube nicely and compactly. This works.

My DVD shows this, step by step, along with about 600 other needful things.

Dave and Sharon McCallum
Featherweight RX
1012 Cypress Court
Burlington, WA 98233-3040
360-757-4777
email: [email protected]
web: www.Featherweight221.com

ALL NEW...Dave's Workshop on DVD. AVAILABLE NOW on our website.
Dave makes several trips a year, to where I live and he is a very creditable source.