Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another >

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Ok That is enough for me for today - more other times. Maybe as we go through them I'll post. We have seen clothespins used to wedge motors, duct tape used to hold motors together, parts pulled off one machine to make another work. Someone pulled the belt guard and hand wheel off a clone and left a motor and wiring from a Singer 201 - I suspect it would work. When the machines were hauled from the auction to where they were stored they must have taken a few hits... The cases are mostly in pretty rough shape. They were hauled on the back of a pick up truck along with about 30 boxes of books. We were chuckling about it back at the time. Who knew.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Glad you have lots of parts machines because they're needed. If you lived closer I'd take some off your hands to repaint and redo. I'll be having some house renovations done in my near future so I won't be doing much else. Enjoy your new project/parts machines.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Is that what happens when someone like us gets the addiction to the max? Hope I never have to leave my loved ones to deal with haywagons loaded with machines! Sounds like you're up the challenge, though. Thank's for sharing your fun with us!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Wow, you sure are a brave woman, Miriam! I will be watching to see what you can do with these machines and will be amazed if some of those will function when you are done with them! I am new to this passion (just finished my second Singer 66 rehab,) and can only imagine the work and hours you have in store for you! And it was fun to hear the story, too. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Most of them did look a little rough but out of that many machines there are going to be a few gems too. I saw one Redeye where the decals were in pretty decent shape.
Nice haul Miriam. That should keep you out of trouble for a few days.
Rodney
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Most of them did look a little rough but out of that many machines there are going to be a few gems too. I saw one Redeye where the decals were in pretty decent shape.
Nice haul Miriam. That should keep you out of trouble for a few days.
Rodney
Don't forget Wilbur - he will be on hand with an oil bottle I'm sure. There is one redeye that drives me crazy. Maybe you can spot it. Those are ALL redeye 66s.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 PM

Way to go Miriam!!!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Is that what happens when someone like us gets the addiction to the max? Hope I never have to leave my loved ones to deal with haywagons loaded with machines! Sounds like you're up the challenge, though. Thank's for sharing your fun with us!
My loved ones are 4 and 7 and are learning as much as I can cram down their little throats... not really but they are learning a lot. They love to come over and waste time oiling and cleaning machines. Some times I let them use screw drivers. They will be equipped to inherit some day. Mainly I hope they inherit the ability to keep things working rather than to trash out things just because they might need some kind of work or are ugly. I hope they appreciate well made things. I hope they can figure out how to make some money at it - I haven't...

Last edited by miriam; 04-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Um the kids aren't ugly just the old machines... Sorry Wilbur.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:31 PM

What a haul! Your grandkids will be sewing machine mechanics before you know it, haha! And I would be tempted to try repaint jobs on a few of those - can't look any worse than they already do!