Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another >

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Well my little helpers showed up today. We didn't have a lot of time so we quickly & roughly assessed. We figured out most of the ones in the garage are Singers. There are 2 that say Brother - Wilbur thought that was really funny for some reason. Then there was a Countess a couple Kenmores and a Domestic. We also figured out that many of them have parts missing - no cords or foot controls with any of them - just a tangled up mess in a box - cords are not a high priority if you are Amish I'm guessing... I still haven't really looked close - it's been cold and we have been busy with a move. They had a good laugh at the ones that look burned out or something. Then we went in & looked at the older machines that may or may not be fixable. They seem to favor them. They got a real kick out of the top tensions. I will need to spend some time with them on those - they were intrigued. I have been working on a 27 off and on so we made one sew - it was one I had that needed parts. We talked some about taking parts from one machine and putting it on another. We looked at that frozen up old Singer 15. Wilbur thinks grandma can make any of them work - I'm not sure he will understand until we take one machine at a time and look it over. Then we looked at the Singer 99 with the broken needle bar. We talked about trading one out of a different machine to that machine. The Singer redeye machines were kind of ho hum - they have seen them before. Someone suggest making one of them into some kind of planter - I'm thinking about that. I mentioned it to Lovie and she suggested hens and chicks. I think if we pull out the guts it would work a little better....
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Most of the machines have a foot with them but some do not. When we were at the auction some man put all the attachments in with some other box or trashy stuff and won them real cheap - nobody caught on. I know this because I saw him going through his loot later. ggggrrrrrrr..........
I really hope the universe "takes care of" entities that do things like that - - - - -
Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM

I am soooooooo jealous!
Ok so we have them sorted by the ones that will be for sure parted out:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473253[/ATTACH]
Not to worry they have been moved inside the garage for awhile.
And then there are some I think I will tinker with:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473254[/ATTACH]
Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Well we are at a loss for a place to put the car. When the wind blows wrong she honks unless she is in the garage. I think she is jealous of the machines. Most of the machines in the garage are not much count. I worked on 2 27s and they work now - but the third 27 is a donor - it got another machine going so that is 3 going. I just got a little light weight Kenmore 158.10301 finished up and it sews nice and that makes 4 working machines so far. The little Regal would work if it had a shuttle. I am parting out one of the Singer 66 machines. I wonder how many machines the parts machines will keep alive???
Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Organ donating. Think of the all sewing machines lives you are saving! Good for you!!

I wonder how many machines the parts machines will keep alive???
Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I do think of it that way Cathy. I have a junk Singer 500 and I can't begin to say how many machines that thing has saved. It looks terrible but I love that machine - it has saved me a ton of money on parts. I'm afraid a lot of the ones I put in the garage will have to be parted or scrapped. A lot of them look ok at a distance...