Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another >

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I lined up 4 machines and took a picture. Then I started looking them over. Two are New Home. One is a Regal with a National motor. I suspect that machine may be new stock or close to it. The no name machine is somewhat like the Regal and nothing like the New Home. The Regal is begging me to make her work and play with her. I'll wait for Lovie and Wilbur though. I wish she had a shuttle. The Singer shuttle does not fit - it is too long and angled wrong, too. The New Home shuttle is way too long. One of the New Home machines wants me to play the other is so so... The No Name can wait... Why do I have machines that are some what alike and one calls to play and the other wants to wait??? The Slide plates from the New Home do not fit the Regal or the no name. I haven't gotten the attachments off to see if anything interchanges or not - they seem to be baked on with dried up oil.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Then there are some old 'boat shuttle' Singers. I want to get them out but I can't lift them. They will have to wait. They look alike but I think they are different models. I'm not sure any but one of them have bobbin shuttles.
The lady labeled this machine and dumb me pulled the label off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473480[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pumpkin-patch-sewing-machines-108.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Wow, I agree this should keep you busy for awhile.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prim Quilts View Post
Wow, I agree this should keep you busy for awhile.
do you think???
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Miriam,

Saved all your pics to my HD. Can blow them up and see what's there I might can use. Will get the list to you soon.
Might want to just set them aside. I've GOT to do a road trip and get out of this place for a while.

Besides when I was younger I used to frequent the DIY auto salvage lots in south Phoenix. Oh what fun. The treasures you could find then. Your haul kind of reminds me of those good old times.

Joe
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM

I would be having dreams about going through the haul. nice job.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM

What a story! That is quite the adventure and assortment of machines. Crazy mad fun!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Joe I like your sewing machine parts junk yard idea - too bad we don't have the 30 X 50 foot pole barn - nah it would be full up... Joe if you can't make it over here I can let Wilbur part out one for you if you send a list. He reads now... He is very careful besides it is all he can do to get a screw out let alone strip a thread or tear up a slot and he would have adult supervision... He could fill up a P. O. mailer box just for you.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I oiled up all of the old long bobbin machines and they all move. These have top tensions:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473508[/ATTACH]
Wonder of wonders - I oiled them and they all move fairly free now. They could use some TLC I'm sure if they were to sew. The two New Home machines have shuttles and the other two do not. They take a shorter shuttle than a Singer long bobbin. Bummer.
Attached Thumbnails top-tension-sewing-machines-010.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Then I got out the 4 Singer long bobbin machines and a Franklin long bobbin. One Singer has a bobbin shuttle - I oiled the machines and they do move - the one on it's back is pretty pathetic so I'm thinking I will use the parts from it to make one or two I already had gone over work. I'm kind of excited about that. The little black line 128 with the 'lightening bolt' moves very nice - I think I'll leave the lightning bolt and call that one Lightening or Bolt. The Franklin moves sweetly but has no shuttle. I wonder if a Singer shuttle will fit it. The other two Singers now move freely and I think will be made to sew.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473509[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-franklin-long-bobbin-032.jpg