Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Going on the Road... Coast to Coast (literally) and Back >

Going on the Road... Coast to Coast (literally) and Back

Going on the Road... Coast to Coast (literally) and Back

Old 05-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Congratulations and if you ever get to central FL give us a holler.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 AM
KLO

Sounds like you are in for an adventure! Congrats on the upcoming wedding. May I say it's about time without having eggs thrown at me? hehehe You must really like to drive as it looks like a long trip. I can only hope for you and your wife that you have a safe, happy, and awesome trip. I too look forward to photos of machines found along the way and of course, wedding photos. Will you be wearing outfits made on your old machines?

PS: Looks like you will be too far east of our NC location and trying to get North in a certain time frame.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Banned

We are finishing our Victorian wedding outfits this week (and/or next....) Patterns are made from the McDowell Garment drafting system for her, and from the Dever's method book for mine.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Many congratulations to you both!! That looks like a fun but very ambitious trip! Stay safe and have fun!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Congratulations. If you are coming thru Atlanta on I-20, at least wave. We are off I-75 about 60 miles north of Atlanta.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 PM

If you're really going from Washington DC to Boston, I have a suggestion for making your trip a little better.
Instead of heading north on I95, head northwest to Gettysburg, PA (a nice historical stop) on I270 and Hwy 15
and then continue north and northeast through PA on Hwy 15/I81/I84 to Danbury, CT (where you would be if
you stayed on I95). We have kids in Boston and go this way because it is far cheaper (I95 has lots of tolls),
usually faster because there's less traffic, and it's a prettier drive. If you do that, let me know and I'll meet
you for lunch or coffee in Frederick, MD since I live just south of there just across the Potomac river into Virginia.

Linda

Between the great job being super busy, working on sewing machines, working on my "new" 1965 Corvair, and getting the final details done for my Wedding on May 20th, life has not been boring...

I am posting this because The day after we get married, Heather and I are hitting the road and driving on a whirlwind trip across the entire country to the east coast. Heather has never really been east of Nevada, so I am introducing her to the "original 13"

Until we get to Boston we will have my 1867 MOP Grover & Baker cabinet in the rental vehicle, it is being delivered to the person who will be preparing it for it's new life in a South Carolina Museum.

The outbound trip is taking the southern route, the return trip is the northern route. Anyone wanna meet up for lunch/dinner along the way?

Also, Since we will be empty on the way back I can do an East Coast to West Coast mule/shuttle service for folks. (but side trips off the main route will need to be kept to a minimum.

The general plan is:
May 20th - Get married in Yosemite

May 21st - Leave Yosemite on road trip early AM
May 23rd - Arrive Georgia to visit Sister

May 25th - Arrive Washington DC
May 26th - Arrive Boston

May 28th - Arrive Philadelphia
May 30th - Arrive Jamestown, NY

May 31st - leave Jamestown NY for home
June 3nd - return home
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lkms View Post
If you're really going from Washington DC to Boston, I have a suggestion for making your trip a little better. Instead of heading north on I95, head northwest to Gettysburg, PA (a nice historical stop) on I270 and Hwy 15 and then continue north and northeast through PA on Hwy 15/I81/I84 to Danbury, CT (where you would be if you stayed on I95). We have kids in Boston and go this way because it is far cheaper (I95 has lots of tolls),
usually faster because there's less traffic, and it's a prettier drive. If you do that, let me know and I'll meet
you for lunch or coffee in Frederick, MD since I live just south of there just across the Potomac river into Virginia.

Thank you, I will do some research on that. The oracle Google states that that is a 2 hour longer route. But people are usually smarter than Google.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:51 PM

Steve, my heartiest congratulations to you and Heather. It is, indeed, an ambitious trip. But we've done almost the same. My family is all in NW Arkansas and Oklahoma, and we have, in years past every year we can, made the trip from North Central Florida (Ocala) to NW Arkansas, the on to NW Oklahoma from there. It is a rough trip, but there's nothing like visiting with family. I understand that Florida is a little off the beaten path for you, but if you've never seen North Central Florida (and Homassassa) you've missed a lot. The area surrounding Ocala is the "horse capital of the world" and the horse farms are beautiful. There are gorgeous springs (Silver Springs). We've been here in Florida since 1967 (worked many years on the Space Coast - my husband was an electronic technician and I worked in the Technical Library at the Kennedy Space Center. It's unbelievable to watch the launch of a Saturn V rocket with an Apollo spacecraft on board! I stood on the steps of the Kennedy Space Center Headquarters building during the first successful Saturn V launch following the tragic fire on the launch pad that killed three US Astronauts! Those were very dark times.

The launches were spectacular and we enjoyed being a part of US Space History. To be young again --- Nah, I don't think I have the strength to go through that again! Got off the topic for sure!

Most of all, make your trip safely! Many, many years of happiness and love for you both, that is my wish!

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-06-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correcting sme wording
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 PM

I am in awe ! Congratulations is all I can think to say. Fabulous honeymoon.
Did a similar trip over many months going from Niagara Falls to Florida to LA to Vancouver then east to Toronto (Niagara Falls) and tried to see all points of interest with a fifth wheel/truck
Recently bought a motor home and hope to do another trip of this type and although it was my idea I am not so sure it was a good idea now.
Kathleen
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 AM

Congratulations for the 20th Steve and Heather. Hope you have a great trip.