Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Has Anyone Seen One Like This? >

Has Anyone Seen One Like This?

Has Anyone Seen One Like This?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445477[/ATTACH]
I'm obsessed with this machine. I've found some information about a Bell Messerschmitt sewing machine which is a very similar design to this "Capri." Does anyone have information on the Bell Messerschmitt? The Messerschmitt name, I assume, is German but my machine definitely says made in Japan. Did the Japanese copy the German machines after WWII like they did the Singer? I am a camera buff and know the Japanese copied the Contax (Nikon) and Leica (Canon) cameras. So I have to assume they also copied the sewing machines. TIA for any information.
Attached Thumbnails img_0125.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 11-07-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Grammar and Spelling
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM

That works very similar to a Juki industrial that my Mom used to have.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I have a Capri badged machine, too. It is just a household machine. Sews just fine. Nothing special.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
It looks like old adhesive over the brand name. I wonder why they had the name covered up at one time?

You have a nice machine!
That adhesive strip was probably a label to identify which line it was on, and the machine number, for when it must be pulled and actually worked on, so it gets back where it belongs. It might also have been the service register for keeping track of regular maintenance. When a machine gets used non-stop like they did, you must do constant upkeep to stay in business. (Think thread, lint, dust, etc.)
Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 AM

I think I've found the model this Japanese machine is modeled after (were all early Japanese machines copies?) - the Bell 201. I've found an online manual for the Bell 201 and the undercarriage, bobbin area, and needle bar area are so similar. And, yes, I realize there are only a few basic systems, but the light location and squarish body along with system design indicate a copy.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Ron,

I am late to this discussion. I had a green 'Remington' that was almost identical to your Capri. Made in Japan, nice household machine. I don't see that it was copied from the Bell Messerschmidt. It is so much like many other Japanese class 15 machines. This picture of it is in my universal treadle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447050[/ATTACH]

Cathy
Attached Thumbnails remington1.jpg   remington1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Ooooh, I saw this on ebay and put in watchlist ...... and then forgot about it!!!!!! Now, please explain a zz attachment; so many machines I pass up because just straight-stitch and I have a mental block about not having my zz (as in zigzig, not zz's as in sleep.)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Ron,

I am late to this discussion. I had a green 'Remington' that was almost identical to your Capri. Made in Japan, nice household machine. I don't see that it was copied from the Bell Messerschmidt. It is so much like many other Japanese class 15 machines. This picture of it is in my universal treadle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447050[/ATTACH]

Cathy
Cathy, That's the exact same machine painted green. I was in error about the Messerschmitt, it was the Bell 201 I had fleetingly seen. A Jay on a Yahoo's Vintage site sent me to the 201 and I found a manual for the 201. I'm not thinking the Capri, and now the Remington, are clones, but, were modeled after the Bell. I yield to your expertise and now realize a machine doesn't have to be a clone to be based on the Singer class 15. Thanks for the picture and explanation. I've enjoyed this machine as much as any thinking it was unique.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Ron,

This model is a really cool style, both in looks and in function. I miss mine. I used it a lot. The bad side was the oil did leak so I had to keep a bellypan under it.

I noticed in your signature line you have "Plagiarized, "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine" " That quote is mine. I have been spouting that for way over 10 years. I consider it flattery when someone quotes me. Put my name after it and remove the "plagiarized". It's not plagerized. VBG

Cathy Nelson

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Cathy, That's the exact same machine painted green. I was in error about the Messerschmitt, it was the Bell 201 I had fleetingly seen. A Jay on a Yahoo's Vintage site sent me to the 201 and I found a manual for the 201. I'm not thinking the Capri, and now the Remington, are clones, but, were modeled after the Bell. I yield to your expertise and now realize a machine doesn't have to be a clone to be based on the Singer class 15. Thanks for the picture and explanation. I've enjoyed this machine as much as any thinking it was unique.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM

Cathy, thanks for the authority.