Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help With My Mom’s Kenmore Model 37 Sewing Machine >

Help With My Mom’s Kenmore Model 37 Sewing Machine

Help With My Mom’s Kenmore Model 37 Sewing Machine

Old 01-12-2022, 02:23 PM

Default Help With My Mom’s Kenmore Model 37 Sewing Machine

Good evening. I am seeking help with a model 37 Kenmore machine on behalf of my mother. My mom has had her machine since 1956. She recently had a small 1/4” ring shaped nut fall off while taking out her thumb screw. She didn’t realize what it was when she found it on the floor a day later, and threw it away. A couple of days later when she tried to sew again, she realized that her thumb screw would not hold her presser foot in place anymore. I do not live close to her so it is difficult for me to know what the presser bar assembly looks like on her sewing machine and if I can help her fix it. Would you by chance know if it is indeed a “nut” that she lost and if it is something I can purchase for her or get repaired for her?

I was also looking for a high shank zipper foot online for her (she lost this awhile back) when this happened. However, I am also having great difficulty locating a Kenmore high shank zipper foot as well. Would you be able to help me or could you direct me to someone Hello! I am seeking help with a model 37 Kenmore machine on behalf of my mother. My mom has had her machine since 1956. She recently had a small 1/4” ring shaped nut fall off while taking out her thumb screw. She didn’t realize what it was when she found it on the floor a day later, and threw it away. A couple of days later when she tried to sew again, she realized that her thumb screw would not hold her presser foot in place anymore. I do not live close to her so it is difficult for me to know what the presser bar assembly looks like on her sewing machine and if I can help her fix it. Would you by chance know if it is indeed a “nut” that she lost and if it is something I can purchase for her or get repaired for her?

Also, I was looking for a high shank zipper foot online for her (she lost this awhile back) when this happened. However, I am having great difficulty locating a Kenmore high shank zipper foot as well. I’ve looked on eBay and Etsy but I can’t seem to find one that says it will work on a high shank Kenmore. Would someone be able to help me or could you direct me to someone or a business that could help? I would really be so grateful.
or a business that could help? I would be so very grateful.
My email is [email protected]

Thank you on behalf of my mother. My mom has had her machine since 1956. She recently had a small 1/4” ring shaped nut fall off while taking out her thumb screw. She didn’t realize what it was when she found it on the floor a day later, and threw it away. A couple of days later when she tried to sew again, she realized that her thumb screw would not hold her presser foot in place anymore. I do not live close to her so it is difficult for me to know what the presser bar assembly looks like on her sewing machine and if I can help her fix it. Would you by chance know if it is indeed a “nut” that she lost and if it is something I can purchase for her or get repaired for her?

I was also looking for a high shank zipper foot online for her (she lost this awhile back) when this happened. However, I am also having great difficulty locating a Kenmore high shank zipper foot as well. Would you be able to help me or could you direct me to someone or a business that could help? I would be so very grateful.
My email is [email protected]

Thank you so much,
Corina King

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-13-2022, 08:25 AM

I gather that your mother's machine is a zig-zag machine. I have many machines, including some Kenmores. I don't know of any of the high shank machines that use a nut for a presser foot. I can't remember which machine had some tiny nuts that attached somewhere in the bottom of the machine.

I have never ordered from this business, but there is a high shank zipper foot at https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/zi...ank-55501.aspx

I don't know where your mother lives and if there would be a sewing machine repair shop in her area. Unfortunately, there are a lot of businesses out there that don't know about repairing or servicing vintage machines. Sewing machine repair shops are getting fewer and fewer.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 01-13-2022, 10:40 AM

I needed a screw that held up the needle. I went to Mr. Sewing Machine in Dallas with the machine and he found one in his parts bin. I would suggest looking for a repair company works on multiple types of machines.

I have bought from sewingpartsonline.com and they sent what I ordered quickly.

Bkay
Old 01-13-2022, 04:17 PM

I don't think there's a nut to hold the presser foot on. Here's a picture of a model 37 http://steelsewing.blogspot.com/2018...-machines.html Scroll down until you see the yellow Kenmore. The thumb screw should screw right into the presser foot shaft. No nut needed.

She just might not have the foot pushed all the way up or something?
Old 01-13-2022, 07:00 PM

I received a PM from Corina part of which was:
I have a picture of her straight stitch foot. I don’t know if I can upload pics to show but I can describe it. It is approximately 1” in height. It has a “U” shaped prong at the top where it is secured with the thumb screw. It has a wide hinge on the foot. The “dip” in the “U” shaped prong is approximately 1/4” deep.
Thank you for the foot link. I did actually see that one but it doesn’t look like her straight stitch foot so I’m not sure that it would work, but I do appreciate you looking for me.
Yes, it would. Some feet have a "U" shape to attach and some have the wrap around with a sideways slot. The screw will be in the same place. I found a picture of some of the feet for one of my Kenmore machines and it shows the difference in the way it attaches. It is for a low shank machine, but they work the same if it is a high shank. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/85...page=22#manual Note that the zipper foot attaches like the link I sent earlier. The zipper foot that is shown there is actually a zipper foot which can be used either with a regular zipper or an invisible zipper. I looked for a high shank invisible zipper foot and found it was shaped differently so that it could not be used for both type of zippers but did find https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/co...941100002.aspx which could be used for either types of zippers.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

I hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-13-2022 at 07:11 PM.