Help Please..Singer Bentwood

Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Sorry for not answering sooner... I haven't had time to play with my new toy. Hubby has been taking chemo and in between that I have been snow blowing.
Thank you all for the wealth of new information and when I get time to play I will hopefully be able to answer more questions. I hope I can find the end of the Singer guide in the box of goodies...I enjoyed watching the video on how to use it!!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Looking at the case, this is set up for a knee controller. Seems you are missing the knee mechanism. See the hole on the right front.
Under the metal plate is the controller mechanism. The handle has no use, unless you have the gears for a handcrank. I would simply buy a repro handcrank. Inexpensive conversion, since you already have the handwheel.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear about the chemo and knowing some of what goes with it. Here is a shot of my blackslide converted to Handcrank, just in case you don't have the electrical controls under that plate. Repro handcranks aren't quite as good das original, but good enough for my purposes. We took it and a 99HC to a demo. Silly us we took one bobbin for the 99 and broke it. Finished the day on the VS machine. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...653-568425.jpg
Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sassylass View Post
Sorry for not answering sooner... I haven't had time to play with my new toy. Hubby has been taking chemo and in between that I have been snow blowing.
Thank you all for the wealth of new information and when I get time to play I will hopefully be able to answer more questions. I hope I can find the end of the Singer guide in the box of goodies...I enjoyed watching the video on how to use it!!
No apologies necessary. Sorry your "plate" is so full. Perfectly understandable. Thank you for letting us know.

Actually, your Singercraft Guide is the the "No. 1" and will not have the blade. I do see the button, which from what I read, is usually missing. On this page http://www.knitting-and.com/singercraft/editions.html she says that you can do gathered puffing, that can't be done with the later ones. I think most of the instructions on that site are for the "No. 2" guides. I don't remember seeing any instructions for the "No. 1." I'm thinking that your "guide" pre-dates your machine, which isn't all that unusual. I enjoy seeing other "goodies" so I hope when you have time you can post some more pictures.

Here is a picture of the knee lever for my 1928 99 that has the barrel end.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568458[/ATTACH]

and the end that goes into the base

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568459[/ATTACH]

Take care. I hope things go smoothly for you.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

If the handle does fit in the hole and actually engages the controller. I'm wondering if it may have been adapted to be able to sew using one's hand on the handle?? rather than using one's knee.
Attached Thumbnails 99most-kneebar_579.jpg   99barrel_575.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-16-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: after-thought
Old 02-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
... I don't remember seeing any instructions for the "No. 1."
boy, I'm embarrassed http://www.knitting-and.com/singercr...32-booklet.pdf The instructions for the Number 1 guide are on page 6 & 7 of the pdf. However, I didn't see anything anything about the puffing that is mentioned on the "editions" page.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:28 PM

I just found a manual that includes the knee bar but for the 99.
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...2c142a66d9.pdf