Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
help with screw for singer 15-90 cover >

help with screw for singer 15-90 cover

help with screw for singer 15-90 cover

Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 PM

thank you - I"m at work now but I'll check when I get home tonight. I have one for the 66 (if it's not messed up!) that's what made me think there might be one made for the 15's - the book from what I was reading the other night just says to loosen a screw under the machine to stop the feed dogs from moving I think...of course all these books are running together in my head sigh. I find stuff on the 15-91 but not the 15-90 so much - but thought they were the same except for the motor but the instructions I found for 15-91 say to do that to the feed dogs then put the stitch length in the middle positon and it shows it like there's a mark on the machine for that neutral position but mine doesnt' have any markings. still learning the machine but love it.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Yes, a 15-90 will drop the feed dogs, and that is the best way to do this. There are some older 15's that don't drop the feed dogs

As to the 15-90 or 91, the only difference is the power source, the 90 has an exterior motor and the 91 has the built on potted motor - but the rest is the same so the feed dogs drop on both.

And you don't really need to put the feed dogs to Zero on the stitch length, I never bother with that as I leave mine set up for FMQ and winding bobbins for my Long Arm.

I did quite a bit of FMQ on a 15-90 that started out as a treadle machine. We put the motor on it and gifted it to a 12 year old had been given a brand new machine as a gift, but found it could not handle anything heavy - and she wanted to make a jeans quilt.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:44 PM

lucky 12 yr old! thanks for the help - I'll check out what I have when I get home -I took it upstairs to the machine so I wouldn't lose it. I'm so excited to try FMQ with this machine! I got a lot of machines from my mom when she passed and she cleaned them but never really sewed on them so I'm wanting to go through them and try them out - this one caught my eye and I was in love from the get-go with it. even went to antique sewing shop and got her a cabinet that had been refinished :-) I wish the shop were closer- about 45 min away - but that keeps me from living there LOL! that was gonna be my next stop Tuesday if I couldn't figure this out.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 PM

Well I'm a bit embarrassed But good to go! Thank you for the help...never thought to look at the other side and sure enough it's not a hole and it does have the clips. Thank goodness for the pic of how it clips on. I have no idea how I thought I could screw it in that hole and have it reach...but thanks also for not replying like I'm stupid lol. I know y'all had to be thinking 'what the heck?!'
Guess I should try it out...kinda tired from work so may wait til I've slept lol my brain learned a lot from this thread and that one about fmq in vintage machines
Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Well didn't have much luck will have to try it well rested and with decent lighting...