Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many sewing machines do I need????? >

How many sewing machines do I need?????

How many sewing machines do I need?????

Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Since I have downsized my collection of FW's I have 16, 14 are vintage, 2 are new (embroidery & quilting). I am still stubbornly hanging onto 7 Featherweights, but my hubby says we really are not collectors and I need to let go. It is really hard because I never met a vintage Singer I didn't love, it hurts me when I see these wonderful machines in a state of neglect. OOps make that 18, forgot the Serger and the little childrens #20 that I use for decoration.:)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 AM

I have 13, counting my 2 sergers. The number would be higher, but I recently gave my Singer 301 to my stepdaughter when I taught her to sew. Two of my machines are treadles. Except for my embroidery machine, all of my machines are older than late 70s. I love the fact that the older machines are easily maintained.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 AM

More.

Or how about enoughthat you could give one away if there's a need. I'm not asking for your treadle, but a new quilter on a budget with a borrowed machine would be so gratefule for a machine of her own if you find one you could afford to give.
Don't you just love estate sales!!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by leggz48
I ran across a Singer in a round top wooden portable case with latch and key. However, it has a shuttle instead of bobbin and I don't know anything about them; how to wind, load, tension????) Anyway, I plugged it in but no one had fabric so I sewed on paper.....sounded good, but made quite a 'bird's nest'. Can anyone help me on making decision on whether to buy it? How hard it is to adjust tension? Need Help in a Hurry!!! Thanks! Oh and this will be #10!
Linda, how much are they asking? Bentwood case and shuttle indicates a 27 or 28...the bird's nest probably means that the bobbin is in the shuttle and feeding the wrong direction...they're great fun and not hard to figure out! Go to the Singer website and do a search for manuals, they have a free download for both the 27/127 and the 28/128 machines....I'm not sure I'd ever buy another rotary machine....those shuttles make the neatest sound! :)
Asking $125 but would accept $85 yesterday; I was hesitant because I just bought a Featherweight. However I haven't stopped thinking about it! The serial # began with an AL; I thought that meant about a 1953 era. Is there another listing for these portables?...and if so, how do I date it?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM

I have 5. A Husqvarna Lily, a Janome 6600, and three Singers - a centenial edition Featherweight, an in-cabinet 15-91 with boxes of attachments, and a 301 with numerous feet. Other than maybe finding a nice Singer treadle, my collection is complete.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Wow, I thought I have a lot.
I have a Janome 6600 in my sewing cabinet at my home sewing room.
My Bernina 180e comes out of the closet whenever I do any embroidery.
I have a Pffaf on a quilting frame in a studio I rent and I piece on a Janome Gem there. I'm looking into replacing the Bernina with a Babylock and then will move the 6600 to my studio. I tend to do a lot more quilting there these days.

Pfaff on Frame in my rented studio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237822[/ATTACH]

Filling up the cabinets in the studio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237824[/ATTACH]

Home craft room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237828[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237816.jpe   attachment-237818.jpe   attachment-237822.jpe  
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I didn't think "need" was a word in our vocabulary
Agree! It's not how many do we need but how many do we want. :thumbup:
Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 AM

I have my Singer Embroidery/sewing machine, a Pfaff2056, a Singer Athena, a Janome Serger and a Cover stitch machine. Don't have the need or the room for anything more. Love looking at the old machines and if I ran across one really cheap I would probably get it.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Oh my! I guess I'm in the minority here, haha. I have one embroidery-only machine, one serger, and two sewing machines- my Janome 6600 and then a 1930s era Singer 15-88 that I have for upholstery, leather, and other heavy-duty projects that I don't want to subject my Janome to.

I may get one more machine in the future solely for quilting (either a long-arm or a medium-arm that I can use on a quilting frame) but I can't imagine having more machines! I mean- with the exception of the embroidery machine, which I can set up and then let it do its thing, I can only use one machine at a time, so I personally think it's a waste for me to have a lot of machines that will just sit there most of the time.

But I will admit that I'm not a collector :) And even if I was, I don't have the space!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 AM

I guess we all (oops, most of us) pretty much agree, there's no such thing as too many.