Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP >

I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Did you turn it upside down and shake it?
hahaha! Miriam I always love your sense of humor! You made me laugh for the first time today......uh....you were joking weren't you?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
hahaha! Miriam I always love your sense of humor! You made me laugh for the first time today......uh....you were joking weren't you?

Nope.
Step 1: Invert machine.
Step 2: Do the conga.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 PM

CD has given you great advice. Making the adjustment from the bottom is be the better way to go. Some machines have that adjustment at the top, but unfortunately not this one (if it did there would be a screw slot on the top of the oil "plug").

Using CD's picture as a reference. Put a large blade screw driver in the slot of the screw to keep it from turning, then loosen the lock nut. Now turn the screw (probably clockwise) a half turn or so. This will drive the screw in and push up on the oil "plug". Now back off the screw to its starting place. Test the machine. It should turn easier, if not try again with a full turn of the screw. repeat as needed. If this all does not work, turn the screw counterclockwise from the original starting spot to back off the pressure. then test the machine. If all is well tighten the locknut while holding the screw steady. Easy peasy, but nerve wracking none the less.

Hope this helps,
Cathy

Thank you ms cath! can you be a little more directive? I did try tapping it from the opposite side (opposite direction from original tap but no change.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

yes - just kidding
Note to self - don't ever put the spool pin in the oil hole. ARGH
Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 PM

An easy-out should be available from a relatively well stocked hardware store. It is kind of like a coarse thread tap, but backwards threads. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-S...SE06/202972059
it may be too big for the hole in the oil bushing. Another possibility is finding a tap that will fit in the hole, turn it in by a wrench, it will thread the hole, then you can use that size screw in the threads to jack the bushing back out of the hole.
I don't have a 66 where I can get to it, and 99's don't have the same kind of insert bushing. I think you might try an 8-32 tap to see if it might start in it. keep it straight up vertical, put a little oil on it to help it cut. thread it in about 1/2 to 3/4 turn, back out about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn, then back in repeating. you may not be able to go very far, unless you can find a bottoming tap, one that doesn't have a lead in that doesn't cut much to help it start. But if you don't have one, once it stops turning, remove it and grind off about 1/4" and take it a little deeper. After the hole is tapped, inserting a number 8-32 machine screw should push it up.
Sorry for a long winded passage here. Maybe Steve H has another way.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
CD has given you great advice. Making the adjustment from the bottom is be the better way to go. Some machines have that adjustment at the top, but unfortunately not this one (if it did there would be a screw slot on the top of the oil "plug").

Using CD's picture as a reference. Put a large blade screw driver in the slot of the screw to keep it from turning, then loosen the lock nut. Now turn the screw (probably clockwise) a half turn or so. This will drive the screw in and push up on the oil "plug". Now back off the screw to its starting place. Test the machine. It should turn easier, if not try again with a full turn of the screw. repeat as needed. If this all does not work, turn the screw counterclockwise from the original starting spot to back off the pressure. then test the machine. If all is well tighten the locknut while holding the screw steady. Easy peasy, but nerve wracking none the less.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
sounds easy peasy but I wish you were here to hold my hand! I'm not sure I follow everything but it might be clearer in the morning when I sit down in front of my machine to actually try it. So tell me what that is accomplishing and why you know to do that?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Nope.
Step 1: Invert machine.
Step 2: Do the conga.
I'm gonna try this helpful hint first. If it works then...Yowza!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm gonna try this helpful hint first. If it works then...Yowza!
I like the idea of oiling it first - get it greasy and come out easy???
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Mizkaki's suggestion sounds more technically proficient than mine. I'd try that. besides I hate being responsible for ideas that don't work out!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I like the idea of oiling it first - get it greasy and come out easy???
I agree Miriam...unfortunately I have fairly well drowned it in oil with no relief. This machine was very clean and moving very freely before I mucked it up. So I know I "jammed" it by driving that pin down into the "bushing" (Jim's term) tightening everything up. I am still kicking my stupidity!

thank you all for helping. I will let you know tomorrow morning if I have any success. Keep sending your helpful hints!