Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I bought it.. so what do I do with it? >

I bought it.. so what do I do with it?

I bought it.. so what do I do with it?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM

A take-up lever? That's pretty amazing. The 2 discs look like tension and I was very careful when I took it apart. Does that spring connect to anything? It doesn't appear like it does. I'm not sure how it works. I was able to move it up and down when I had the face plate off. What does it connect to that causes it to move up and down when the needlebar moves and the face plate is back on?

Are those long flat metal parts the rollers? They do move freely and I again took them apart very slowly and carefully. So, I'm pretty sure I'm putting them back correctly. That stitch knob doesn't have any numbers on it. How do I know it's back to 0? Yes, it is difficult to move. I haven't cleaned it up yet so maybe I'll do that next and then work with everything again.

Yes, magic for sure...... I'll be back at it tomorrow.

And, thanks, Jon. This one is so different from anything I've ever worked on.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 PM

Jon, I posted my reply before I saw your second message. I did slant the machine so things wouldn't fall out as I was removing each piece of metal and cleaning it and that helped a lot. If I need you to take a picture I'll PM you. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Here's a pic of some "rollers" on a vertical feed made 50 years later. The "take up"only seems to act to remove slack from the fishing line, oops thread and appears to be a moving tension disc with no adjustment. I would imagine rollers attached to something behind the face plate cause it to move at the proper time-I'll have to check.

If the machine was turning before cleaning I wouldn't fool with the stitch length just yet. 0 would be when there is no stitch length. On Davis' 5 would be max length without jamming. If you turn the handwheel and watch the stitch adjustment mechanism it should become clear how it works.
Attached Thumbnails nvfdemo-004w.jpg  

Last edited by jlhmnj; 11-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the picture, Jon, but the machine I have is way less parts. I took it apart again today and I hope you will be able to help me figure this out. First, this picture shows what it looks like when the vertical bars are removed. There is a lever that was just 'in there' when I took the last 2 bars out.
Attached Thumbnails sew5-001.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 03:19 PM

The lever has a small ear on it that appears to fit in the slot attached to that large knob that you said adjusts the stitch length.
Attached Thumbnails sew5-002.jpg   sew5-003.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 03:25 PM

There is a wide bar that fits over the large center (I don't know what to call it) wheel .... and a smaller bar that goes to the right and in front of the wide bar. That smaller bar has a post that appears to fit in the hole of the lever but it also has a hole at the top that fits over a post at the top. That's where the problem is. When the smaller bar is in place, the center wheel won't go all the way around.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I've done wrong. While I couldn't see exactly how it was set up before I removed those 2 bars, I did see the lever sitting there and I don't see anything else that would connect there.
Attached Thumbnails sew5-006.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 PM

Sent a PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks..... I got it back together and the wheel is turning all the way around now. I had the stitch regulator knob too far in.

I'm going to work a little harder at getting that back slide moving tomorrow. I can't believe it's still stuck.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks..... I got it back together and the wheel is turning all the way around now. I had the stitch regulator knob too far in.

I'm going to work a little harder at getting that back slide moving tomorrow. I can't believe it's still stuck.
Not the best designed stitch length control system, I had the same problem on mine. The rear slide plate removal is only cosmetic and nothing to fuss excessively about. Not essential to remove the shuttle arm lever but would be good to clean the pivot. Sounds like your moving right along.

jon