Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I just got a vintage Kenmore SM. Can you please help? >

I just got a vintage Kenmore SM. Can you please help?

I just got a vintage Kenmore SM. Can you please help?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 AM

I got my Kenmore for high school graduation from my folks. Not sure the model? 1977. Have not used it for a bit. All your comments make me want to get it out again!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:01 AM

Kenmore is a Badge name used by Sears, and Sears had them made by several different companies over the years, in this case the 158 prefix indicates the manufacturer, so if you have a Kenmore with a different prefix, it's made by a different company. BTW- Sears retired the Kenmore badge not that long ago, and started selling machines under the manufacturer's name.

I have a 158.18 something, I bought it specifically because it has a chain stitch adapter. I have a thing for machines that can do chain stitch along with regular stitching.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Gotta love those old Kenmores. Most, if not all of the 158 series were designed and built in Japan and are wonderful, sturdy, and dependable machines if well-maintained. They are well-designed and have virtually no plastic parts which makes them very heavy, but is also why they're so reliable. They'll run and run and will sew through virtually anything including heavy canvas and leather.
I have a 158-14001 which is the same model Mom bought in bought me 1969 or '70. I was in heaven back then because not only did it have a zig-zag stitch, it had a stretchstitch too!. Polyester double-knits (that we wouldn't dream of wearing today) were big back then and I made a wardrobe full; all possible because of the stretch stitch. I used that baby for YEARS. I used it to make my wedding dress, my daughter's wedding dress and a wedding dress for my daughter's best friend. I gave it away (silly me!) about 20 years ago but got nostalgic for it and found a refurbed replacement online. It works beautifully despite it's age and will probably outlive me. It's now my go-to machine for piecing, mending, and anything else I want to do when my big Brother quilting machine has a project under the needle that I don't want to remove for a little job.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 AM

I just noticed this thread, as I generally hang out at https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...thusiasts-f22/ You might want to post there as well. We like pictures

As Peckish gave links for posting pictures, I will just add that frequently the reason why they don't get uploaded is because they are too large and need to be reduced.

And adding to Dunster's comment "When someone tells you a sewing machine is rare, it's usually because they don't realize how well these things used to be made, or how many thousands were produced." Rare because they are comparing it to the machines made for planned obsolescence, or because they want to raise the price.

The date 1974 is correct for this machine per http://www.searsarchives.com/history.../sewing_id.pdf

Did you get the attachments and cams that came with the machine? Do you have the manual? Did you get the one that mandyrose referred to? If a manual came with the machine and you want a pdf for it, the manual can be found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...more-1774.html It looks like if you have the right attachments your machine will chain stitch according to https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...page=32#manual

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jennifersword View Post
I have pictures but I don’t know how to upload them?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602948[/ATTACH]

I have a couple of pictures of Kenmore machines.
I believe this is the one of which you speak.
Manufactured by Maruzen/Jaguar of Japan.
Should be an E-cam machine, and I'm not 100% positive but it
might be a super-high shank foot. Might want to measure it to find out.
Attached Thumbnails 74mod158.1774.jpg  
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM

My Kenmore 158 is a super high shank. I don't know if all 158's were or not.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
My Kenmore 158 is a super high shank. I don't know if all 158's were or not.
The Japanese company Maruzen/Jaguar began production of "158" designated Kenmore machines in 1957 and continued to produce them for several decades. Their machines were high shank for many years before they began making the super high shank models. Meanwhile, other concurrent manufacturers of Kenmore labeled sewing machines made low foot models. It can be confusing, so it's always best to measure! =)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
I got my Kenmore for high school graduation from my folks. Not sure the model? 1977. Have not used it for a bit. All your comments make me want to get it out again!!!
Do it, do it! I had my mom's old 301a that she got in 1956 or 57. After reading here about how many people liked them, I got it out and have been using it. It's become my go-to machine for some quick piecing. It also makes me happy to feel like I'm sewing on a piece of my personal history. I can remember coming home from school and my mom would be sewing away on the 301 on the kitchen table (she never had a dedicated sewing room).
Old 10-23-2018, 01:38 PM

You have my machine exactly. My mom bought it new in 1974. Great machine! The only think it can't do is foundation paper piecing -- the shortest stitch is still too long and I couldn't find a way to tear the foundation paper away without pulling out some of the stitches. Lucked into a Featherweight thats perfect for that so never need to buy another machine! These old all metal machines are workhorses that will run forever. I did pick up a second Kenmore on the cheap to use for extra parts if needed.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 PM

my Mom gave her 1970 Kenmore to my son so he could repair his own jeans when he left home. It had those wonderful cams that dropped into the top to give you lots of stitches. She used it until about 3 yrs before she died (2012--so was i pretty constant use from 1970-2009)when it was so heavy she could no longer lift it to get into car to drive to repairman. She replaced it with a cheap plastic Singer and complained all the time about that new "rickey-tickey machine"! I've told my son if he goes to get rid of it I want it back--so far that hasn't happened!