An interesting red eye

Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 AM

Default An interesting red eye

I saw this ad on craigslist so I emailed the seller for pictures.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/atq/4183137695.html

The serial number is G209230. The (very nice) seller even cleaned and polished the plaque to be sure she read the number correctly. According to ISMACS, it is one of 30,000 numbers allocated on Jan 8, 1910. The next allocation of serial numbers for model 66 was March 16, 1910. The next after that is June 22, 1910. There are patent dates on the slide plate, and the last one is June 14, 1910. So, either the slide plate was replaced or Singer allocated serial numbers as far as two or three allocation dates in advance of manufacture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446760[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446751[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]446752[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446750[/ATTACH]
There are some other interesting things about this machine. At some point the presser bar was changed from back-clamping to side-clamping, and the handwheel was changed out, I assume when it was electrified. But it has no motor boss, so where would the motor have been mounted? It has one of those funny controllers. I've seen them in pictures but not in the wild (as Tammi would say).

I just noticed something else. Do I see light coming thru the rear inspection hole?
Attached Thumbnails cl-redeye1a.jpg   cl-redeye2a.jpg   cl-redeye3a.jpg   cl-redeye4a.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I have several with no motor boss - people did all kinds of things to 'upgrade' them to electric. I have seen holes drilled in the side or the back to mount a motor. I think some of them have had spoked wheels for treadles traded out for the non spoked wheels to make it electric when they modified to for electric. I have one some where someone drilled out the little circle hole cover thingy to mount the motor. I have one that the motor mounted on a piece of the 2 X 4 that the machine was setting in. That machine looks normal to me for it's age. Decals look good. For the price - go buy it and enjoy it. I put a steering wheel spinner on it along with a spoked wheel and the kids love it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446765[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails heartnut-012.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446766[/ATTACH]
Here it is with the table full of sewing machines - none of them have a motor boss - steering wheel spinners had to do the job.
Attached Thumbnails heartnut-005.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I just noticed something else. Do I see light coming thru the rear inspection hole?
yes you see light - there is another hole in the side of the machine - normal if that rear cover is MIA.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

Here is another one Glenn cleaned up:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446767[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446768[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446769[/ATTACH]
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Decals do seem to vary a bit from time to time and depending on how much wear the machine has had. That one on your CL looks like more neglect than anything. You could have a lot of fun with that machine.

Last edited by miriam; 11-14-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM

My guess is the cover plate was changed out when the other modifications were made. My understanding is it was common for dealers to take the older machines in trade then modernize them by adding electric motors and resell them. Yours hasn't been repainted but the other changes like the newer hand wheel and 1950s case that it's in would indicate that may have been what happened. It's possible the motor was mounted on the back plate so you wouldn't see any mounting holes with the plate missing too.
I'm not sure how your market is but at $25 for one needing a motor or hand crank and a missing back plate I'd probably wait for another more complete machine.
Rodney
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM

On second thought the case seems to be in decent shape and that can be an expense to replace. It may be worth doing based on that.
Rodney
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Miriam, I love seeing the pictures of the kids using the machines! Glenn's photo's aren't working for me.

I had thought that maybe the light was robbed when the motor was robbed and the rear cover plate went missing when that was done. But you're right -- it could have had a hole drilled in it for the motor. I never thought of that! I looked for holes in the pillar and arm but couldn't see any. Or, they might have mounted it on the cabinet.

Rodney -- If they replaced the slide plate when the machine was electrified, I would have guessed the plate would be a plain one, without patent dates on it. I don't know when they switched to a plain plate, though. I'd have to research that. But the patina of the slide plate matches the patina on the needle plate. It looks original to me, but it could be an early replacement. Unfortunately I can't buy this machine. I already have a 66 HC and space is really limited. I agree the case is nice.

The the thing intrigues me most is the serial number date/slide plate mismatch of 2 or 3 allocation dates.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I saw this ad on craigslist so I emailed the seller for pictures.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/atq/4183137695.html
Miriam may just have the answer to the light through the inspection window. Someone may have drilled and tapped a bolt hole to mount the electric motor.

edit: you beat me to the light mystery solution.