An Investment or Just Nuts?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 AM

As far as I know, AllSaints is still fully machined. Theirs are not just sitting on shelves. It would take a worse quake than the one in 2001 to budge those beauties.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
sometime after 2011, their insurance company told them to remove all the machines because they would be a huge risk to their customers in the event of an earthquake. Seattle is part of the Ring of Fire and earthquakes are a part of life.
According to this blog post the sewing machines at All Saints were there just over a year ago Dec 2013. Earthquake? It's been over a decade I think.....

Ironically, he went to see another such store in San Francisco the following week. Earthquake danger anyone?

Btw - I live half an hour from downtown and had no idea that this store with sewing machine decoration even existed until I recently read that blog post.... But then I never go downtown..... prefer a rural lifestyle.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:48 AM

Oh my goodness! My heart skipped a few beats when I read the tale. There's an All Saints with machines in NYC but I haven't gone to the city in about 12 years. Maybe this spring I should "get a Round Tuit".
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM

I was thinking it had to be All Saints also. I wouldn't want to pay 25 for the common machines, but the euro hand crank machines I sure would. Add that up when you pick out 35 machines . I just found out it doesn't take but 45 minutes to find that many you want .

I also have a life time of VW's. starting before there were Hippy's. Just like saving SM's the bodys got to be a bit much. Then it was save all the little parts.

I down size ( tossed out junk ) because of the net, the huge increase in VW values. Decide to "Save the bay " which was on the dune buggy parts list.

The saving these parts, has built me a complete 1970 westy. totaly restored for right at $1000,

now I'm buying machine from a stash like that, next buys on the list is all the box's of little parts.

On the save parts list, first thing is screws. I have used screws from 70's vintage Elgins to repair 191? "s new homes.

sewing related, I'm sure a Pfaff was used to on this . This time a old used throw away < goodwill , singer did the job.

Gotta love saving old junk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506680[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_9953.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM

As an investment, to keep my "specialty" (new word for hobby) going, this was a good choice. My DH also has a "specialty," muzzleloaders. As a result, he completely understood and supported me. The machines I picked out were the best heads. Only two came with HC.

It probably was All Saints. I am going to make some choices and make useable what I can. So amazing to sell two treadles and be able to afford a stable full of heads. Yes, I have a feeling the rescuer has no idea about the parts and pieces. Some of these, the ones that had secure accessory lids, had bits and pieces from the last owner.

Finally, that Type II Westie is a gem! That's one of our dream vehicles. Spending time, going slowly through the Cascades, in one of these. Of course, a handcrank would be along too.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 PM

red I kept thinking of painting a old SM on the side. You guys have bugs.

next door to the place I'm getting machines from. country setting, = blackberrys. there is two 70's bugs complete a 62, a 67, a 65, out front an other bug. I have a feeling there's more. all look complete and OG paint. 67 maybe be a repaint ? hubby had a Tow truck bis, he died, I do know, she and her son knows there value as per samba prices. in 20 years they will still be sitting in the same spot. LOL

I still have 3 FG buggys, Taht will never get finished LOLOL..
Old 01-18-2015, 02:33 PM
cjr

Seattle-Portland Or Story
Last Summer we drove to visit our daughter & fam in Fereral Way outside of Seattle. one of her friends was storing -selling stuff from 3 families. she invited me over to look at her sewing machines -4 in cabinets lined up in garage. After a discussionon how to and how much she should get for them she offered me one. When I asked price she gifted me a 1939 Singer 66 in desk cabinet. We brought it home to Las vegas with it in the back seat of our Mustang convertible. It just fit in, that we were able to close roof. Our toy poodle used kneehole as her dog house on the drive home.
Before going home we drove to Portland. While I was in Fabric Depot DH enclountered a man in the parking lot selling 2 Singers for $100.00. At that point we were very short on cash. DH wanted me to get the newer Singer (low endmodel) because it was newer then my 70s 778. because we could only scrape up $60 between us I said the old machine was a much better machine -- another 66, only this one is in carrying case. it sews well but needs a bobbin case.
I could not believe our luck.
After i got home I made a gorgous quilt from a panel I purchased earlier on that same trip for our DD friend. That nachine was from her 92 yr old aunt, who sewed a lot. Great finds.
Rust only miniumal on both machines considering moisture in that area.
Seattle is an old city and has many old machines from my occassional look on CL.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Maybe think of it as an investment in history and being able to share the progress of the past to the present. From people powered to computerized sewing. There is a lot of tech knowledge that remains the same but the advancements that were made to make sewing faster, and easier really comes across.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
...I still have 3 FG buggys, That will never get finished LOLOL..
if you decide you want to only have 2, let me know by PM... hehe
Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM

Once, I had five bugs. All of them were from the mid to early sixties. I still have one, a '65. There is a time when it will be restored. Right now, I need something to "fix" that is vastly different from my teaching career. Not a great time to become a teacher and sadly, I've stopped telling students when they would make a good one no matter how true it is. That is another reason I consider these machines an investment. They will keep until I need them and are cheaper than therapy!