Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway... >

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 AM

​Does Wilbur have his own machine cleaning tool box yet?? I am giving him the title of YSMG, youngest sewing machine guy.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
​Does Wilbur have his own machine cleaning tool box yet?? I am giving him the title of YSMG, youngest sewing machine guy.
GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!! YES. I have some short fat screw drivers he loves. I'll have to rig up a tool box for him. Yes he is very serious about working on sewing machines. He does a very thorough job of oiling.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!! YES. I have some short fat screw drivers he loves. I'll have to rig up a tool box for him. Yes he is very serious about working on sewing machines. He does a very thorough job of oiling.
Be sure to post a pic of Wilbur and Wilbur's vintage sewing machine tool box. Would love to see it. I am sure he would be so proud of it. I can imagine the big beaming smile on his face right now.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Be sure to post a pic of Wilbur and Wilbur's vintage sewing machine tool box. Would love to see it. I am sure he would be so proud of it. I can imagine the big beaming smile on his face right now.
I think I know what kind of smile he would have...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 AM

I'm bumping this thread, just because it's so awesome.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Wilbur's momma doesn't want pics of him on the internet. Sorry, I'll have to stick with stories...
Tuesday I was baby sitting the 4 youngest. A phone call... Someone wants to buy a machine. I warned the guy it's a zoo. He was ok with that. So he called right before he got here. We were in the middle of changing Walter's smelly diaper. SO. Wilbur and Miss L answered the door. Then Wilbur told the guy he works on sewing machines and Miss L said she cleans them. Then she told the guy she didn't clean the one he was looking at. She got out a brush and brushed it a bit. Then Wilbur said we need to oil that machine because he didn't oil it. I assured the guy I had cleaned and oiled it. I only let the kidos work on a couple derelict machines, not the good ones. Anyway he was a bit amused when I told him that Wilbur thinks he is a regular little priest with the oil... The guy bought the machine. I pulled the head out of the cabinet and handed it to the guy. Then I handed the manual to Miss L to carry. Wilbur puckered up because I wouldn't let him carry out the table. SO I handed him the cord and he puckered up again. The guy buying the machine told Wilbur that the cord was the most important part because the machine wouldn't run with out it. So we cheerfully march everybody out the door, load up the truck and there is Wilbur still holding the cord. He hands the man the cord and he says you forgot the most important part. Oh and Wilbur knows Tri-flow is better than sewing machine oil. He and Miss L were each working on derelict machines. I let Wilbur oil his up with regular oil since I knew he would baptize. (Folks, USE ONLY ONE DROP PER MOVING PART!) Then while he was busy I helped Miss L oil her stuck machine with T-F. In a couple minutes hers moved. Then Wilbur told me his needed the 'brown oil' for his machine. The next time they came over he wanted no part of regular oil. He wanted the 'BROWN OIL' (T-F in a brown bottle) So I guess you could say he recommends T-F. I think I need to mark an empty bottle so he can go at it... Oh and he does have a tool box. Wilbur and Miss L fight over who gets what. There is enough to go around they just like the same tool at the same time.

Last edited by miriam; 10-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Ok maybe this will bump up.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

OK it is that time of YEAR... Clean your bobbin area. Wilbur was over yesterday for mere moments. He dashed in to the shop and spotted a very dirty housekeeper clone. He looked it over and said it needed to be cleaned up. Since we had a few minutes while momma was busy with baby Emma we cleaned out lint. We got the the bobbin area and he said - those people should have cleaned their machine up. He muttered the whole time. We got it all cleaned up and oiled then I let him put it back together. He knows how it should go but he had a little trouble getting the THING and THINGY to stay in. SO I tipped the machine on end and he got it. FOLKS, IF A 4 YEAR OLD CLUMSY KID CAN DO THIS IT IS SO NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Miriam, I think I speak for many- you are inspiring! Love reading about Wilbur and other kids.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Good reminder. I do mine every other bobbin.
Another reminder is change the needle out every 8-ish hours. I've heard people with 25 year old machines say why should they, it still sews. Cars with no tires will still go down the road, but...
I'm with you. I use a tiny drop of oil when I clean out the bobbin area. My favorite tools are a soft toothbrush, a qtip, a needlenose pliers to get fuzzy bits that fall behind & other little brushes. I got a small oil bottle with a long (3") thin nose that makes life easier. I have a friend with a Bernina he's had for 20 yrs. He took it in to be serviced and the person asked how often he oils it. Deer in headlights look! He's an experienced sewist & quilter, too. He oils his machine now.