Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for an English translation of a 19th Century German manual >

Looking for an English translation of a 19th Century German manual

Looking for an English translation of a 19th Century German manual

Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Banned

Default Looking for an English translation of a 19th Century German manual

Greetings folks,

I have access to a person who can do this but she is Very VeryY busy right now and I'd like to not add to her stress.

I have an 18 page sewing machine manual written in German that is from the 19th century for a Claes patcher which is almost identical to my Emile James Politype Patcher (here)

It is 18 pages of text so I know it is a lot of work, but if someone is willing I would be open to trades/services/cash as a thank you.

(I've agreed not post the 18 pages for "copyright" reasons (the person who shared this with me paid for their copy) but once I have it translated I will reconstruct a copy using the images from the original manual and post that.

Steve

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM

If you have it online, can't you use google translate to get the general gest of it?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 AM

In my experience, Google translate leaves a Lot to be desired.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM

I'm a native English speaker fluent in German (have been living over here for over ten years now). How fast would you need it by? Send me a PM if you're still looking for someone; I'd be happy to help! :-)
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
In my experience, Google translate leaves a Lot to be desired.
Oh so very true.... Especially with older documents and especially with technical documents. Language is very context sensitive. With my Medieval research you can frequently narrow the date of a document by the use of the language and terms.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fuzzykittenbutt View Post
I'm a native English speaker fluent in German (have been living over here for over ten years now). How fast would you need it by? Send me a PM if you're still looking for someone; I'd be happy to help! :-)
Speed is not an issue, PM sent, Thanks

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Banned

as an example of Google translate..
Schuhmacher-Nähmaschine mit Stahlarm; Nählänge SO cm; Hub des Transporteutfußes
bfs 12 mm einstellbar; rundherum transportierendj direkter
Antrieb des Nadels angenhebels und der Nadelslange durch die Kurvenscheibe,
dadurch erhöhte Durchschlagskraft; zwangsläufiger Antrieb der
Zahnstange und damit des Treibers durch eine Walzenkurve; aus/ösbare
Fadenspannl.lng; einstellbare Stichgroße; doppelte lagerung des Schiffchentreibers;
auslösbares Handrad; Selbstspuler; im Zahnstange kopf
vers ellbere Zahnstange; seitlich verstellbarer Nadefhalter.

Correcting the text yields:
Schuhmacher-Nähmaschine mit Stahlarm; Nählänge 50 cm; Hub des Transporteurfußes bis 12 mm einstellbar; rundherum transportierend; direkter
Antrieb des Nadelstangenhebels und der Nadelslange durch die Kurvenscheibe,
dadurch erhöhte Durchschlagskraft; zwangsläufiger Antrieb der Zahnstange und damit des Treibers durch eine Walzenkurve; auslösbare Fadenspannung; einstellbare Stichgröße; doppelte lagerung des Schiffchentreibers; auslösbares Handrad; Selbstspuler; im Zahnstangenkopf verstellbare Zahnstange; seitlich verstellbarer Nadelhalter.

Translates to:
Shoemaker sewing machine with steel arm; Sewing length 50 cm; Stroke of the feed foot to 12 mm adjustable; around wicking; direct
Drive of the needle bar and the needle, the lever length of the cam,
This increased clout; inevitable drive the rack and thus of the driver by a roller cam; releasable thread tension; adjustable stitch size; duplicate storage of Schiffchentreibers; releasable handwheel; Selbstspuler; adjustable rack in the head rack; laterally adjustable needle holder.

not bad for 1 hour of work..... that is 1 paragraph of 4-5 on just the First of 18 pages ...

I'm gonna hold out for Fuzzy!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Not a collector, but read your thread regarding that unusual machine you acquired......it was fascinating to see you restore it! What is the monetary worth of that sewing machine....I gather from that little blurb you posted this was originally used for shoes? It is truly beautiful. I wonder if any museums have any of these.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Banned

Worth? I think they are worth a bunch, but for market value... I have seen them sell as low as $300 and as high as $5000 (same model)

Yes, this a shoemakers machine. One of the first machines to be able to do this successfully. Some museums have them, including mine.. hehe

Update: with the help of Fuzzykittenbutt (and her BF) and a non board member that is an expert on these old beasts, we have started the process of converting the manual. Page 1-2 are done. I am cleaning up the graphics and redoing the line work to make as clean a copy as we can.

So far so good!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Speaking of translating, does anyone have any access to a manual for an antique Gritzner hand crank? I have a Gritzner handcrank from 1892-1897,(can't remember the exact date) and would love to have a manual and have it translated.
Thanks. Janis