Ma & Pa Kettle Treadle

Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 AM

One of my favorite movies is For Richer or Poorer with Tim Allen and Kristie Alley (1997) where they hide out in Amish country -- I loved seeing the quilts but I didn't notice the sewing machines -- as it is one of the currently showing movies on my tv, I will have to watch it again and look what they sew on when making their new colorful clothes!!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Looks like an Elna Supermatic. Now I guess I will have to start paying attention to commercials. Dag Nabbit!
heh heh. I always mute the commercials because I can't stand listening to them. I think I watched the car one a couple of times before I picked up on the treadle.

When I paused the TV and stared at the machine trying to figure out what make/model it was my husband said "What difference does it make?" Gaaahh...speechless. It's hard to explain this obsession to a non-addict. We both try to identify birds in nature shows that aren't about birds. I should have used that as an analogy.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
While I’ve been putzin around this afternoon on a couple of treadle machines, my wife has been setting at her Singer 301A mounted in her Singer 430 “Profile Three-Way Sewing Desk” FMQing her latest Baseball All-stars quilt for our grandson. She has a DVD movie playing (mostly for noise) and she happened to notice a scene in the 1947 black & white movie, The Egg and I, where Fred McMurray and Claudette Colbert arrive at their new (old, run down) farm to raise chickens. He’s showing her around in the farm house, and there’s what looks like a Singer 12 or 13 treadle setting just inside of the doorway, covered with a thick layer of dust.

I don’t know if it shows up in the rest of the movie or not. My wife hasn’t gotten to the end of the movie yet. She had to replay the sewing machine scene for me so many times that it set her back both on quilting and movie watching/listening. (Sorry)

CD in Oklahoma
Oh boy, I saw that movie in the movie theater when I was a kid. Datyes me I think. It only cost me a dime!!